Leaking tap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatandy

Reaction score
Hi all, I am hoping for a little advice although I fear it may be too late for this brew.
I have an ipa kit brew that I have barreled. All was going well for a while until it started to leak from the tap. I guess through pressure build up.
I panicked and transfered it into a spare barrel. The spare barrel only has a pressure valve lid so I poked around in the relief valve of the original lid assuming this must be blocked and then fitted this to my new barrel. I then tried to introduce some co2 and have discovered the pin in the lid is slightly too small to pierce the co2 cartridge.
I have now ordered a new lid but fear the beer may go stale in the meantime as it does not appear to be building any pressure.
My main question concerns the original barrel tap. It was not leaking from the thread but from around the tap itself, actually leaking around the lever. Is this common, I guess it is a cheap tap but dont know as I got it second hand. Can it be sealed or will I need a new tap ?

Hi all, I am hoping for a little advice although I fear it may be too late for this brew.
I have an ipa kit brew that I have barreled. All was going well for a while until it started to leak from the tap. I guess through pressure build up.
I panicked and transfered it into a spare barrel. The spare barrel only has a pressure valve lid so I poked around in the relief valve of the original lid assuming this must be blocked and then fitted this to my new barrel. I then tried to introduce some co2 and have discovered the pin in the lid is slightly too small to pierce the co2 cartridge.
I have now ordered a new lid but fear the beer may go stale in the meantime as it does not appear to be building any pressure.
My main question concerns the original barrel tap. It was not leaking from the thread but from around the tap itself, actually leaking around the lever. Is this common, I guess it is a cheap tap but dont know as I got it second hand. Can it be sealed or will I need a new tap ?

If it's leaking from around the tap and not the thread you're probably going to need a new one Andy.

I then tried to introduce some co2 and have discovered the pin in the lid is slightly too small to pierce the co2 cartridge

Have you placing anything on top of the pin to pierce the CO2 cannister.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

@fatandy
After you transferred your beer to the second PB did you prime with sugar?
If you did and there is no pressure building you probably have a leak from the lid seal or the CO2 injection parts, which you will need to sort out.
If you have pressure building then just leave it as it is, and don't get concerned about CO2 injection. I operate 3 budget PBs all with the basic lid (ie with RV only) and can often get down to the last dregs without having to reprime.
If you didn't prime with sugar just add sugar and reseal, but check that its building pressure after a day or three.
And get a new tap, or even two. I keep spares for all the bits on my PBs.

@fatandy
And get a new tap, or even two. I keep spares for all the bits on my PBs.

^^ The best of advice!

A good set of spare taps, seals, etc etc means you'll always be able to resolve a leak = no wasted beer.

Thanks for all the replies.
I am thinking of going over to corny kegs so am reluctant to get to carried away with too many spares although I think I will have to sort out the tap on this one as I have another brew ready to barrel.
I have not re-primed it, how much sugar should I be adding to do that ?
The only reason I did'nt use this barrel in the first place was because I was struggling to get the lid to seal, I know it was'nt the lid as I am using that one on a small barrel of cider and it has sealed that. I am hoping my new lid will arrive today so I can swap the new one onto the barrel and then I was hoping to gas it to be sure it has sealed.

@fatandy
I usually prime my PBs with 90g sugar if above 19 litres starting volume.
On the odd occasion I have to reprime say about 1/3rd or less I put in about 70g.
You might find this useful
Guide to a Standard Home Brew Pressure Barrel
I recommend you inspect the lid gasket before you start again, any sign of cracking or deep grooves will lessen the possibility of a leak proof joint.And don't forget to thinly smear Vaseline on the mating surfaces, and don't overtighten the lid.

@fatandy
I usually prime my PBs with 90g sugar if above 19 litres starting volume.
On the odd occasion I have to reprime say about 1/3rd or less I put in about 70g.
You might find this useful
Guide to a Standard Home Brew Pressure Barrel
I recommend you inspect the lid gasket before you start again, any sign of cracking or deep grooves will lessen the possibility of a leak proof joint.And don't forget to thinly smear Vaseline on the mating surfaces, and don't overtighten the lid.

Never tried repriming as I have a Co2 cartridge.
I Agree with the overtigthening comment, I originally made a wooden contraption to apply pressure to tigthen/loosen the capI but had nowt but bother for months with continuous leaks I got a new gasket, applied vaseline and fitted it more gently. I have had beer in a PB sitting for months still holding pressure!

Latest posts

Back