Litter and fly tipping.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's the policy of not accepting certain kinds of waste of charging for it that leads to this behavoir.
We can put nappies in our household waste bin why would you throw them out of the window of your car in a beauty spot? the only thig i can think of is you changed your kids nappy in the car and you didn't want the stinking thing (not the kid) in the car with you for the rest of your journey.

Last edited:
I had some yobs park outside my house once and chuck all their litter (Burger milk shake containers) on my front garden. I picked it up and followed them up the road in my car, till they stopped at a petrol station. I got out knocked on their car window, and as it came down, I threw all their litter at them. Never saw them again, though I wouldn't do that now!

I had some yobs park outside my house once and chuck all their litter (Burger milk shake containers) on my front garden. I picked it up and followed them up the road in my car, till they stopped at a petrol station. I got out knocked on their car window, and as it came down, I threw all their litter at them. Never saw them again, though I wouldn't do that now!
Take a bat... they're lovely creatures..like a flying mouse..but a lot of people are scared of them.

Just back from Madeira, no rubbish on the streets in town nor on the verges in country.
But first thing every morning there is a veritable army of workers cleaning streets with brushes, pickers, bags and small vans.

Possibly a slightly unpopular opinion; but I have often wondered why we don't 'employ' people who are on job seeker's allowance to do similar jobs around the community. Essentially; they are people that want a job and it's a job that needs doing.

Managed in the right way, it can benefit both the community and the job seeker by providing them income and opportunities to continue to seek out a job elsewhere.

You'd have to do something like paying 150% of the allowance if you participate in the scheme, otherwise there'd be no incentive to do so.

Last edited:
We can put nappies in our household waste bin why would you throw them out of the window of your car in a beauty spot? the only thig i can think of is you changed your kids nappy in the car and you didn't want the stinking thing (not the kid) in the car with you for the rest of your journey.
yes its bizarre there are usual quite a few nappies so looks like a whole bunch thrown out. You aren't allowed to put nappies in landfill in our area but son's 6 miles away you ask for them to be collected and they give you a separate container for them to be picked up on refuse collection day.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes its bizarre there are usual quite a few nappies so looks like a whole bunch thrown out. You aren't allowed to put nappies in landfill in our area but son's 6 miles away you ask for them to be collected and they give you a separate container for them to be picked up on refuse collection day.
Are you allowed to put dog **** bags in the bin?

For those that aren't aware of it, www.fixmystreet.com works out which council is reponsible for the location of any flytipping, graffiti, potholes, blown streetlights etc that you see and reports it to them.

My experience is that flytipping gets cleared within 48h and even the more resource-intensive stuff happens within a couple of weeks, it works pretty well. Doesn't solve the underlying problem of course but at least it clears the eyesore - one of the problems is that councils just don't know that something's happened.

I'm surprised we don't have more of the kind of road sponsorship that you get in the US - you seem to get it a little bit for eg roundabout maintenance in the UK, but not for keeping roads clear of litter. If you had a school sponsoring its road and the little darlings were sent out to pick litter from an early age, they might think twice about dumping it later in life.

We have a dog, you have to pick up were do you put it, in a bin were else would put you it, you could put it in the tree's with the jonny's or is that wrong
I used to live in Plymouth and for some reason people would hang their dog bags in the trees. Come winter when the leafs fell there would just be a load of bags on them. Never understood that logic.

This picture of our local recycling centre was posted on social media by the council recently.

1694861028148.png

Fly-tipping fines worth £1,250 have been issued in just one day after takeaway packaging, cardboard boxes and household rubbish were abandoned at a council recycling site.

Officers at Westmorland and Furness Council issued fixed penalty notices to five individual people – for £250 each - after sifting for evidence in the mess left behind at the council’s recycling banks near Ulverston Leisure Centre.

The fly-tipped waste discarded on the ground at the Priory Road site included cardboard boxes, polystyrene, bubble wrap and household waste such as loaves of bread, letters, takeaway cartons and fried chicken packaging. All five fines were issued on the same day after the council’s Locality Team investigated a report of fly-tipping at the location.

Councillor Dyan Jones, Cabinet Member for Customer and Waste Services, said: “The last thing any of us wants to come across when we do our recycling at any of our public sites is unsightly and disgusting waste left on the ground. It’s a health hazard and it’s highly unpleasant for recyclers as well as taking our busy Street Scene teams away from their usual work to then clean up the mess.

“This recent spate of fly-tipping at our Ulverston bring site is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to abuse of some of the council’s recycling banks. One of our first major tasks as the new Westmorland and Furness Council was to overhaul all our recycling banks by removing the old containers, sweeping and cleaning the sites and installing new banks. This was accomplished in the first weekend of April 2023 thanks to determined teamwork by our officers and contractors, Sinkfall, and so it is incredibly disappointing to see this misuse by some individuals.

“We want sites to be clean, tidy and welcoming, as you would expect from a council that is ecologically aware and puts our customers at the heart of everything we do, as we state clearly in our brand new Council Plan.

“Most of us would never dream of contaminating our local recycling site in this way. For those who think they can get away with it, be aware - Locality Officers are carrying out regular spot checks and they won’t hesitate to issue fixed penalty notices for £250 where there is sufficient evidence.”

Once you have gone to the trouble of driving to a recycling bank, please use it with respect and follow these simple instructions:

• Only drop off domestic recycling such as paper, card, cans, glass and plastic containers
  • Check the signs on the containers to see what each one holds
  • Remove any polystyrene packaging, bubble wrap, plastic bags etc
  • If the nearest container is full, use another one for the same type of recycling.
Any non-recyclables or bags of household rubbish that won’t fit in your bin at home should be taken to your nearest Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC).

The Nitrous Oxide (?) gas bottles are the worst currently. Been thrown from moving cars. Few days ago working in the front garden, heard a car and then a sort of "clink" noise. Before I could look the car had gone, and one of those large bottles lying in the gutter. Heavy (1.5 kg? empty!). Dangerous!!!

Last edited:
The Nitrous Oxide (?) gas bottles are the worst currently. Been thrown from moving cars. Few days ago working in the front garden, heard a car and then a sort of "clink" noise. Before I could look the car had gone, and one of those large bottles lying in the gutter. Heavy (1.5 kg? empty!). Dangerous!!!
I've been seeing those things absolutely everywhere in my area for the last couple of years (the small ones, maybe three inches long), for a long time I thought they were from hair curlers and such, when I discovered it was actually from delinquents getting high on street corners it made more sense 😅

This picture of our local recycling centre was posted on social media by the council recently.
I've seen similar in a lot of locations.
But when it's recycling stacked by the relevant bin because it's full, then it's the council's fault for not emptying them often enough.

However on closer look, your picture is just general rubbish by some bins & they don't look like they are labeled with recycling categories. I thought it more likely they belong to a business that has to pay disposal costs & they have rightly complained about fly tipping into their bins.

However on closer look, your picture is just general rubbish by some bins & they don't look like they are labeled with recycling categories.

The yellow top ones are for electrical waste (you can see the label on the right hand bin) this is a very small section of the site there are at least 80 of these bins all labelled with what is allowed in them, this is fly tipping, pallets, kitchen units, builders waste, duvets and bags of rubbish which could have been recycled if separated thankfully the idiots left personal details amongst it allowing the council to prosecute.

Back