LME for stout?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hong

Reaction score
I was gonna start a batch of Coopers stout, but have ran out of DME, but I have a bag of LME. Will this be ok for a stout, or will it have to be dark?

I'm assuming you mean light malt extract as opposed to liquid malt extract. Should be fine to use the light malt extra as I have just done the Coopers Irish Stout with light DME and it came out great. Its a dark beer so any colour of malt will do
:thumb:

Won't it reduce the roast malt flavour that comes with using Dark/Extra Dark DME? Not necessarily a bad thing mind.

Yes Stew, I did mean light malt extract. Cheers for reply

GavH said:
It shouldn't reduce the dark matly flavour too much as there will already be plenty of that in the extract in the kit.
You won't be able to taste the difference really between adding light or dark DME. I say just go for it if thats what you have. :cheers:

It shouldn't reduce the dark matly flavour too much as there will already be plenty of that in the extract in the kit.
You won't be able to taste the difference really between adding light or dark DME. I say just go for it if thats what you have. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back