Looks like it could be good for a DIY stir plate

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeltz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just looking for a PSU for a DIY stir plate and this popped up.

Looks to me as though a fan and magnets would fit on top and I guess a potentiometer could be added for speed control. If so would any other bits needed and what resistance should I go for?

Now I'm no electrician but I think 5amps output would be WAY too much for a computer fan! It would be spinning like the clappers!!! :lol:

it'll be fine :) amps are a measure of the current drawn by an appliance. If you connect a 2 amp fan to the supply and put an ammeter in line with it, it would show 2 amps. The unit is capable of delivering up to 5 amps but that just means you can connect a demand to the unit of up to 5 amps before it becomes overloaded. It's the voltage which will dictate the speed of the fan in this case - voltage is the electrical equivalent of pressure from a pump. If you can control the voltage you can control the speed (in DC) a bit like on a train set using the transformer to control the voltage and in turn control the speed of the train.

Well the issue is now that the flask I'm looking at would over hang the edges and while that wouldn't be a problem physically I want it to look right so SWMBO doesn't have too much to complain about.

Anyone got a source of nice cheap project boxes capable of taking a 17cm diameter flask :)

I got mine from Maplins while I was in the shop, not the cheapest place to shop but handy for me.
( and the salesman is an electronics geek who is always available for advice )

Jeltz said:
Ply is probably the way to go. :thumb:

I used ply to make the housing for my CIP pump. Other than amplifying the drumming noise from the pump it works a treat. Going to try making a resilient mounting from rubber for the pump to reduce the drumming but I imagine that won't be an issue with a stir plate.

Good news, I've found a redundant 12V PSU at work rated at 2A which should be plenty. I've 2 old hard drives to dismantle for the magnets and an old computer to rip a fan out of. I should have some ply in the garage I may even have a suitable wooden box. Such a shame my lathe is broken as it would be awesome turning a plate stirrer!

I used a cigar box for my build...I just went to a tobacconist and asked if they had any lying around.

1061175_10151494473587121_1802485555_n.jpg

Worked great!

Back