Bri's Epic GrainFather G30 Experiment- Could We make Into A Fermentation Vessel?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right m8,
my camera skills isnt to good the day,mobile on chrage so used Akaso camera.
here one of the lids.
20231125_102211.JPG
20231125_102232_00.JPG
20231125_102419.JPG
20231125_102446.JPG
20231125_102456.JPG

Right m8,
my camera skills isnt to good the day,mobile on chrage so used Akaso camera.
here one of the lids.
View attachment 93984
View attachment 93985
View attachment 93986
View attachment 93987
View attachment 93988
How much force did you need to apply to clamp the lid in place? If it felt "kind of loose" then there's probably enough wiggle room for the pressure to raise the lid a tiny amount and let pressure escape*. If it was "kind of tight" then it's probably clamped on well enough for a seal. You'll only find out by trying it though.

*Though if it's loose you can probably add some thin shims between the clamps and the lid to make it a tighter seal

"I guess the only way you'll find out is to try it."
i think we all agree by the time i get the parts to assemble, from a known source regilated co2 (reg. to 5psi) and including one o my spunding valves.
IMG_3407.jpg
Into the pressure and if it holds, or drop!
I'll do it over night using the 19c simulated water test.
In the mean time, were looking a possible silicone bung!athumb..
Bri

How much force did you need to apply to clamp the lid in place? If it felt "kind of loose" then there's probably enough wiggle room for the pressure to raise the lid a tiny amount and let pressure escape*. If it was "kind of tight" then it's probably clamped on well enough for a seal. You'll only find out by trying it though.

*Though if it's loose you can probably add some thin shims between the clamps and the lid to make it a tighter seal
As far is force all four retaining clips acted mint, no slack at all, so in my eyes they acted with the silcone seal.

looking back to your disilling question, for all you said it doesnt create pressure, whilst the operation (disilling) the one thing ME and other will be checking lid sealing for vapour leaks.
We can talk til the cows come home, but for me im exited to test.
Screenshot (36).jpg

hellllllllpppp!
🤦‍♂️🥴🫡🫡
struggle with numbers but managed to get a tape measure in, est. 1.4cm 14mm ?? that’s the outside.

You'll want to measure the inside rather than the outside. Then buy a bung where the "A" dimension in your above bung diagrams is that size.

I'm not at home, otherwise I'd get my calipers out and measure it accurately for you.

sorry just getting my cobwebs off my nighttime meds away!
is the retaining clips off the G30 to fasten onto lid?
i’ll wait to get the right in!
all i say we’re looking no more than 5psi.
so why it’s spot welded? and one of the ideas of the G30 is for distilling! as you can imagine the high pressure on the lid during this operation!!
btw how do i know i’m a law breaker, i just had to try it, both pot and column. (for full disclosure i have not them anymore)
so it goes back to why spot weld if in testing it’s failed?
i get you Ref. seeing failure on a system! but i’m not putting high pressure into the system and low temps!
hope you understand me lol.
the G30 has the same retaining clips as my old distilling kettle
View attachment 93979
View attachment 93980
maybe i missing something (obv a few brain 🧠 cells)
thank for taking time pal, really interesting, i’m sure my head get around the answer!
Looks like you haven't even got four spot welds, maybe two? Brian 5PSI is a lot when applied to a vessel not designed for pressure. 5PSI isn't going to carbonate the beer you are still going to need gas, why not just ferment, gravity transfer with minimum pressure needed to complete the transfer? Better still prime the keg with sugar for a better tasting beer.

Looks like you haven't even got four spot welds, maybe two? Brian 5PSI is a lot when applied to a vessel not designed for pressure. 5PSI isn't going to carbonate the beer you are still going to need gas, why not just ferment, gravity transfer with minimum pressure needed to complete the transfer? Better still prime the keg with sugar for a better tasting beer.
morning Foxy my ol m8.
yeah totally get it.
seems this spot weld thing is an issue. i’m with you,
to make it clear (TODAY LOL) my 🧠 is functioning on full power 3 brain cells, so my blinkers or off, for now🥴🤦‍♂️🫡
looking at the options here.
1. crack on waiting for parts coming. test the whole system, bung isolation of pump/filter side.
if that’s a fail, least we know!
2. test without co2 as mentioned in your comments.
gravity transfer into keg.
Least we know the temp control testing (small element ) 19c constant. ramp for clean up we know doesn’t task the elements.
it’s went from theory, to test at “Dry’ test (**** word should i say “wet’ )
i got a 20l recipe sorted, in-fact i need to scale it above the 20l, for extra losses we going to get.
it’ll be my adaption of David Heaths Baltic Porter.
already had a london porter prepped anyways.
as i’ve always said ova 39 years of homebrewing around he world. TESTING, EXPERIMENTING, LEARNING & ENJOYING THE JOURNEY.
i’ll be back on it soon, as i want to get the Bung idea sorted after spending time with family away.
what worse can happen? better to fail trying!
and not saying in a bad way, TOLD YOU SO BRIAN! 😂🙄
i enjoy hellp and interaction with you all, even though i’m a total crazy balloon knot!
so we getting close to new year, so Tropical Pale Ale on keg to wish yous all a Happy New year.
keep safe, enjoy & i’ll catch you soon.
Brian.

you can say for the ones that know me, my weak n good points, worts and all.
when i got an idea in my tiny head! i need to finish the journey….& onto the next challenges.
where would be be in homebrewing if we all follow the “Norm’
i’m the first one to admit i’ve failed! normally lack of forethought and not asking!
proberly why i have too much gears and multiple online shopping mistakes.
but can’t deny i mean well 🙄🥴🤦‍♂️😂🫡❤️
lataz
bri 🍺🥃🥳

new Year eve 23.
Hoping today after getting a digital calliper
IMG_7498.jpeg
should at least get a inside dimensions and the work out what size bung to go for.
I’m hoping the place i ordered the other parts are back to work maybe 2nd n we can crack on proving this idea o mine turning the G30 v1 into a FV.
thinking back, (ok hard i know 🧠🥴🤦‍♂️)
these lid retaining clips are practically redundant and if there’s a fail in the operation of them (spot welds) or the overall sealing, it leave me still with a serviceable system and OBV OUT OF POCKET for the parts.

You'll want to measure the inside rather than the outside. Then buy a bung where the "A" dimension in your above bung diagrams is that size.

I'm not at home, otherwise I'd get my calipers out and measure it accurately for you.
by the looks of it nearly 9mm.
should i buy both 9mm & 9.5mm to make sure guys?
ill wait for advice.
Kna its New Years eve everyones busy.

I just wanted to do a quick vid to add to the mix your your enternaiment!
Maybe call Dangeruss Brian Stikes again'wink...
Catch you in a bit.
Bri

by the looks of it nearly 9mm.
should i buy both 9mm & 9.5mm to make sure guys?
I would just get the 9mm one. The bung just needs to be thin enough to get into the inside of the pipe. That's not the part that forms the seal so it doesn't need to be spot on. The part that will form the seal is the mushroom head of the bung, which is wider then the inlet pipe. The pressure will push the underside of the bung onto the pipe and form a tight seal.

But nothing wrong with getting the second just in case

Latest posts

Back