Lots of head on my Wherry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andysbrew

Regular.
Reaction score
Brewed a wherry a few weeks ago which has been in PB, since day one it has had loads of head/froth, I used 100 grams priming sugar, I have drunk maybe 10 pints and it still seems to take ages to pull a pint.......

Any ideas?

Too much sugar?

It's in a wilkos PB

Thanks

Mine's the same, used 85g priming sugar in PB, but pulling pints very slowly with a near horizontal glass to avoid the froth.

I haven't had as many pints out of mine yet but I think it is just excess pressure, i have some food safe tubing on order which I believe helps to pour a quicker pint in this type of scenario, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Until then I shall continue the slow pour technique.

I've got a Wilko Real Ale in a Wilko PB. I primed directly into the keg with 85g sugar - it was in the warm for 1 week and has now spent about 6 weeks in the garage. I have to admit (this being my first attempt) that I have been having a glass out of it fairly regularly so I'm now down to the half way mark. It's still very frothy coming out even when I'm careful about angle of the glass and rate of pour. I suspect that it's a combination of the pressure in the barrel with the flow over a partially opened tap that agitates the gas in the beer and causes the froth.

I don't find it too much of a problem as it slows me down a bit! :D

Mine was the same for the first 10 pints or so then I had to get some CO2 in there pronto! It was all froth and then none. Mine definitely didn't ferment out though - it was my first brew and I went with the shortest times on the instructions - still not a bad pint but I would do things very differently now.

There maybe a build up of gas collecting in the tap, if you carefully tip the barrel forward before opening the tap it releases it.

I,m new to this so I let out the gas from my barrel daily, there always seems a lot, is this the right thing to do? but I don't get problem with heads on my beer.

I wouldn't personally let any gas out, rather live with too much than ruin the brew!

I,m new to this so I let out the gas from my barrel daily, there always seems a lot, is this the right thing to do? but I don't get problem with heads on my beer.

How do you let the gas out? If you're concerned about too much CO2 building up and perhaps splitting the keg, which should only really be a concern if you've overprimed the brew, pulling off a pint or two will ease it up by creating a little more headspace in the keg. Opening the keg up and venting the gas however is a definate no-no.

Snip about 4 inches of your siphon tube, wrap one end in PTFE tape to build up the diameter without sealing the end, stuff it up your PB's tap. Hold your glass so that the bottom of the tube is in the bottom of the glass. Open the tap slowly.... hey presto. You can pour a decent pint quickly and have a good head on it.:drunk:

Sounds good Ian, might do that if I have a due and want to pour them out quick!!

Cheers mate

Back