Mad cooling Idea

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubthumper

Regular.
Reaction score
say this one a search for something else and it was someone suggesting useing liquid nitrogen to cool the wort after boil
then some one else said an even better one to use would be liquid oxygen as it would also add oxygen to the wort and what a cold break you would get. :?

now to my thinking this is nuts as you would get all sort of probs , but I am not a scientist and dont really understand what it would do as I think it would cold boil like mad.
anyone think this would work and also has anyone ever thried this as it would be very fast cooling if it did work :hmm:

tubthumper said:
now to my thinking this is nuts as you would get all sort of probs , but I am not a scientist and dont really understand what it would do as I think it would cold boil like mad.
:hmm:

I can just imagine you in your brewery with dry ice spilling all over the place. If you do it you must were a lab coat and get one of those mad scientist tefal wigs. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cryogenic beer :hmm: :hmm: there's a thought

:lol:

Yes, it would work. But it's bloody dangerous.

I'm not so sure about using the oxygen though, I suspect you'd end up with far too much dissolved oxygen in the wort.

Good grief, why am I even thinking about this?

what about using one of those scuba tanks and blowing that into the boiler to get the heat down and aireated at the same time

thames water rates not that cheap and I am on a meter
have got my cooling usage down to about 60ltrs or water which is still alot

There was a web site about cooling beer cans, and some people used a jet engine to cool the cans :shock:
Hate to think of the running costs though :D

I dont want to run my wort through any pipe thats no see through as I have no way of knowing if its clean , those counterflow chillers made of copper pipe and hose pipe scare the bejesus out of me , I have seen mold growing on the clear tubes so think how hard it would be to make sure you got the coil dry after every cleaning :sick:
I run the coil with a pump from an old combi boiler and fill a 30ltr bucket with bottles of warer that were frozen and now floating in the water
I just looking at a faster way to cool so not gonna try to pump liquid nitrogen into my wort that would really be a mad scientist thing to do, and I know that I would have a frozen hand after it was done and it would probably fall off :nono:

so I just thinking of the ways that it can be done not that I am going to do it and lord knows I cant afford some of the stuff needed

tubthumper said:
what about using one of those scuba tanks and blowing that into the boiler to get the heat down and aireated at the same time

Why not run the gas from the scuba tank through an immersion chiller then you should get the cooling without the aeration of the wort. An air fill is only a few quid,. but unfortunately I cannot try this as I sold my tanks a couple of years ago.

Heat capacity and heat transfer. Cooling with gas is not efficient - you need a large volume of cool gas, and heat transfer to a gas isn't efficient.

To minimise your water usage for an immersion chiller:
1) Stir the wort continuously, so you are continually putting hot wort against the cooler, rather than relying on conducting heat through static liquid.
2) If the outlet of the chiller feels as cold as the inlet, reduce the water flow rate a bit.
3) Get a water butt and use it for the garden, run back into the hot liquor tank for next brew, run the warm discharge into the HLT to provide hot water for cleanup...

As for liquified gases, I can guarantee that they will be a lot more expensive than water. Liquid nitrogen is merely dangerous, neither asphyxiation nor cold burns are fun. Liquid oxygen is an excellent way to die in a ball of fire. Burning concrete is quite cool though.

Matt

keith1664 said:
Oxygen???? BOOOOOOOM!!!

OXYGEN :eek: :eek: Trust me you really dont want to be messing around with this stuff :nono: :nono: unless you really know exactly what your doing. Any contact with oil or grease & Im thinking kitchens here whare alot of people brew & the result would indeed be as above.

Latest posts

Back