Making some new shineys

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reloaderdan

Reaction score
Hi guys I have just been given 3 ss kegs that I am going to use for a brew kettle, mash tun and heater for sparge water. I'm in the process of top removal and fitting valves ect, my question I have is would you recommend electric elements or gas burner if electric what kw would you recommend for 5 gallon batches?
Happy brewing :-)

firstly be careful with kegs as they are usually owned by breweries and can be confescated by kegwatch id check with them before anything if you are ok to use them id personally go down the gas option

Keg watch Have been known to watch this site and I think if I am right someone from keg watch has posted on here before. However if you have documentation of ownership then you will be fine.

:thumb:

graysalchemy said:
Keg watch Have been known to watch this site and I think if I am right someone from keg watch has posted on here before. However if you have documentation of ownership then you will be fine.

:thumb:

They have indeed, but they can be very helpful if you have them legitimately and will record them against your name as the owner :thumb:

Sorry guys to clear up what i ment they were kegs made to go on classic hot rods to be used as fuel tanks they have never been used as my friend has sold his workshop not long after making these due to a downfall in buisness so they have not been near a brewery :-)

Welcome to the forum :thumb:
For a 5 gallon batch you could get away with just one 2.75kw element, maybe less power wise, I'm brewing like this at the moment. Gas burners work with them very well too, so it's up to you really. Remember to take pics as you go along...we like pics on this ere forum :cool:

Reloaderdan said:
Sorry guys to clear up what i ment they were kegs made to go on classic hot rods to be used as fuel tanks they have never been used as my friend has sold his workshop not long after making these due to a downfall in buisness so they have not been near a brewery :-)

Excellent - people rightly get nervous when it could be brewery kegs being spoken about.. ;)

Gas or electric is a question that comes up a lot - and seems to depend on circumstance as much as anything else.
ie - do you have ventilation to use gas where you tend to site the brewery, or do you have enough supply for the electric you plan to use ( to use it safely ).

for 5 gallons if you were to go electric I used to use 2 elements ( 2.2 KW each IIRC ) to get it to the boil, and then turn one off to retain the boil.

I've never used gas so can't comment on that I am afraid.

EDIT - Vossy beat me to the reply, but I had typed it so posted... :sulk:

Thanks for the reply guys Im still undecided on gas or elc. But will have pics of the build from start to finish to post soon :grin:

Latest posts

Back