Malolactic fermentation with Malocid in my Turbo: Results.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asd

Reaction score
Hi,

I've made a few turbo ciders over the last couple of years. I became very interested in malolactic fermentation after reading about it on here. I tried cultivating Old Rosie yeast, but had no luck . I decided to buy some commercial bacteria and hit upon Vinoferm Malocid. The first time I tried it last year, nothing much seemd to happen. I just plonked some of the powder into my turbo, and hoped for teh best. It made no difference compared to my control. I went away, and made lots of beer for a few months. Late last year, the idea came to me again, and I bought some more Malocid culture. I had done some more reading, and decided to make up a starter. I took a litre of apple juice, added two teaspoons of marmite, and pitched some Malocid I had rehydrated with tap water. I kept it under an airlock in a 2 litre flask, in a warm place - about 22C - and checked every day. After a few days, I thought it looked slightly more turbid. A few days later, there were definite little "sparkles" like pin-pricks dancing on the surface best seen looking across the surface, held up to a reasonable light.

Meanwhile, 25 litres of apple concentrate (no malic acid, no tannin) had finished fermenting - there was no airlock activity for several days. Fermented using Youngs wine yeast. I pitched the litre of active culture, and observed. Initially, there was nothing, but after about three days, I got about one bubble through the airlock every ten minutes. I gradually raised the temp of the brew to 25C under PID and heater control. The rate sped up to about one every three to five minutes, and carried on for six weeks. No pellicle formed. After no activity for a week, I allowed it to cool, and then put it into a Corny with gelatine and Kieselgur finings. A few days later it was clear.

Now, as to the taste, it was certainly not sharp, very rounded, with an almost flowery aroma and taste - like a decent light white wine. It was very nice, and liked by one and all, but not really as a cider, more as a sparkling wine. There was no "twang" to it, which is often described as a characteristic of an MLF.

The Malocid certainly did something,it certainly fermented, but perhaps not what I was expecting. I guess that reflects its commercial use, which is to "soften" wines. If it made wines taste like cowpats, it probably wouldn''t sell very well. It probably did the job expected of it to the best of its abilities on my turbo.

Question: Would it have made a difference if I'd followed the mantra, and added malic acid? I suspect not, it would still have had a soft, clean taste, just perhaps softer.

Question: Is it possible that the scrumpy/Old Rosie cultures actually contain Brettanomyces as well as malolactic bacteria? The descriptions of Brett tastes of "farmyard" "horse blanket" etc. are far more reminiscent of scrumpy flavours than those I found in my pure MLF fermentation.

Anyway, that was my experience. Would I repeat it? Probably no, but I am thinking of doing a Brett cider at some point...Is this a good idea?

Comments please!

Simon.

I don't know malolactic fementation is usually caused by more than one bacteria on being a lactobacillus and the other being something else which I can't remember.

asd said:
Question: Would it have made a difference if I'd followed the mantra, and added malic acid?

I think it would - conversion of malic acid to lactic acid is what it's all about, after all, so if there's no (or not much) malic the effects are going to be much less pronounced

So why not just add lactic acid after fermentation?

Simon.

Because it's not the acid you're after really...

...it's the strange other things, esters and things, that give the "scrumpy" flavour profile. The malic acid encourages the MLF and it's the by product of that which gives the flavour.

Proper cider apples are high in malic acid naturally - in that case the MLF will reduce the sharpness through the acid conversion as well as introducing the funky flavours. What we do with TC is to change the composition of drinking juice which is deficient in malic acid to bring it more in line with cider apple juice then ferment in the same way as we would with cider apple juice. :thumb:

Did that make any sense? It's still early... :lol:

I guess that is sort of my conclusion i.e:-

That using a pure culture of Oenococcus oenii (Malocid), whilst definitely causing an MLF, is not enough on its own to give the "farmyard twang" - it gives too clean a fermentation, and would do so even if malic acid were added. Otherwise Chardonnay would REALLY taste of (cow)****.

The stuff you guys are using to do MLF must have a mix of bugs, and I just wonder whether Brettanomyces spp are amongst them - another clue would be that a lot of scrumpies were traditionally matured on the wood, in barrels, which are good hiding grounds for Brett. bacteria.

Anyway, if anyone else is thinking of trying Malocid in their turbo, and expecting a scrumpy like flavour, my advice is don't do it. If you want to smooth out your cider, then possibly yes, give it a go.

I think I'll give growing Old Rosie another go, although I reckon it is pasteurised, and you guys got lucky in getting it to go.

It might be worth giving Addlestones a go, too, judging from the link below:

http://www.ukcider.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Addlestones

Simon.

The culture that graysalchemy got going really does do the business.

He passed it on to me and I've got a belter of a cider maturing at the moment - must sample it again soon.

narmour got a sample of it and I understand he's got one going well and is ready to pass it on again!

It all started with an Old Rosie...

...who knows what's actually in it but I think we can safely say that it's not pasteurised (although some bottles may work better than others of course), GA's culture fermented his juice out just fine and got the MLF skin going, and we can also say that it makes exceptional TC!

Might be worth tracking down the culture? I'd sort you a sample but I destroyed my pelicle getting narmour's sample and it hadn't grown back the last time I looked...

did you use a wine yeast to ferment the AJ? That may very well be the reason for the winey taste. Old Rosie yeast is champagne yeast i think so gives much cleaner and crisper flavors.

As has already been said MLF is the conversion of malic acid to latic acid (+other stuff). If you did not add malic acid then the affects will have been minimal. Have you fermented Aj with no tannins or acid added before? The sample I tasted when growing a culture of Old Rosie (definetly not pasterised) was almost identical to what you have discribed. Very soft, no bite so it but unlike your it was not winey.

If i am honest i dont understand why you would ferment apple juice bought from a supermarket then put it through MLF and expect it to taste like a scrumpy cider. I am sure if you tasted cider apple juice and supermarket AJ you would see there is a great difference in the taste so would not expect to get the same product.

alanywiseman said:
If i am honest i dont understand why you would ferment apple juice bought from a supermarket then put it through MLF and expect it to taste like a scrumpy cider. I am sure if you tasted cider apple juice and supermarket AJ you would see there is a great difference in the taste so would not expect to get the same product.

The main difference is the level of malic acid, both are made from apples after all. If you add malic acid to supermarket juice, you will get something which tastes broadly similar to unfermented cider apple juice. There are many people on this forum who would testify that a scrumpy type drink made from supermarket juice is as good as a west country cider when the procedure is carried out properly.

calumscott said:
The culture that graysalchemy got going really does do the business.

He passed it on to me and I've got a belter of a cider maturing at the moment - must sample it again soon.

narmour got a sample of it and I understand he's got one going well and is ready to pass it on again!

It all started with an Old Rosie...

...who knows what's actually in it but I think we can safely say that it's not pasteurised (although some bottles may work better than others of course), GA's culture fermented his juice out just fine and got the MLF skin going, and we can also say that it makes exceptional TC!

Might be worth tracking down the culture? I'd sort you a sample but I destroyed my pelicle getting narmour's sample and it hadn't grown back the last time I looked...

I passed mine on to Brewtrog so I'm sure he would oblige with some lees when his has brewed out.

.[/quote]
alanywiseman said:

By adding malic acid at a rate of 1 tsp per gallon and tannin at 1 tsp per gallon you replicate the levals found in cider apples (yes I know that there are hundreds of different varieties with various levels of tanin and malic acid).

Calum Scott has done some research into this with some dat he aquired with levels of tannin and malic acid. Studying those he concluded that 1 tsp of each was with in the levels found in your average cider apple.

As we have also said it is the by products of malolactic fermentation which gives a west country cider most of its flavour ie the farmyard twang so the apple mearly provides the source of malic acid or in our case the tsp of malic acid.

My cider is certainly a good assimile of a west country cider.

Hopefully a corni of it will be available at spring thing for all to try. :thumb: :thumb:

I add malic and tannins at 1tsp per gallon to my cider and leave it to go through MLF. I just think that to allow supermarket AJ to undergo MLF with these additions then say it is not worth it is jumping the gun. In order to get something good at the ned you need to start with the right ingredients. I am sure if asd had added these addition then this would be a very different thread.

Greysalchemy's old rosie culture definitely works, got a batch going with it now and it's bubbling away rather happily, I'll post up offering some lees when they're ready.

Brewtrog said:
Greysalchemy's old rosie culture definitely works, got a batch going with it now and it's bubbling away rather happily, I'll post up offering some lees when they're ready.

Any chance of any lees anytime soon? I've bought 25 Kg of apple concentrate, trying to get hold of some bittersweet concentrate to blend, but if not, will add Malic etc. Have got three 60 litre blue mango tubs to ferment in.

The conclusion drawn from my Malocid experiment was that the commercial culture does not produce the required flavours, so it was a cautionary tale for others thinking of going down that route. It produced a nicer drink than "standard" turbo, in fact nicer than most bought ciders, but not quite what I was looking for. I don't think it would have been any different if I had added malic acid - the Malocid produces a very clean conversion. If I'd thought about it a bit more before starting, it would have been obvious, given that it is produced to "soften" wine in a clean and controlled way.

As an aside, I'm in Norfolk, which has a very different tradition of cider - using mainly dessert apples of low bitterness/acidity.

Regards,

Simon.

asd said:
Brewtrog said:

Any chance of any lees anytime soon? I've bought 25 Kg of apple concentrate, trying to get hold of some bittersweet concentrate to blend, but if not, will add Malic etc. Have got three 60 litre blue mango tubs to ferment in.

The conclusion drawn from my Malocid experiment was that the commercial culture does not produce the required flavours, so it was a cautionary tale for others thinking of going down that route. It produced a nicer drink than "standard" turbo, in fact nicer than most bought ciders, but not quite what I was looking for. I don't think it would have been any different if I had added malic acid - the Malocid produces a very clean conversion. If I'd thought about it a bit more before starting, it would have been obvious, given that it is produced to "soften" wine in a clean and controlled way.

As an aside, I'm in Norfolk, which has a very different tradition of cider - using mainly dessert apples of low bitterness/acidity.

Regards,

Simon.

A good friend of mine has recently brewed up a batch of cider using the Wyeast additive, (which is also a pure culture of O. oenni) as an experiment to find an alternative to Old Rosie, as we can't get that particular cider over here. And I can report that, whilst his cider is still young, it definitely has acquired the beginnings of the farmyard flavour. They key, as many have said on this thread is the addition of malic acid. The farmyard flavour comes from by products of the conversion of malic to lactic. Esters and other aromatics. Without malic acid, you don't get the conversion, which means no by products. It's as simple as that.

Don't forget that Old Rosie is produced under commercial conditions, and so they will inoculate their cider with a pure culture of bacteria. It's not the purity (or lack of it) of the bacteria that causes the required effect. Bear in mind that if the purity of the culture drops, you are way more likely to introduce a strain of bacteria that will turn the whole lot into vinegar, which I'm sure Westons will be keen to avoid with commercial sized batches.

This link is fascinating, with reference to my wondering whether Brett. yeasts could be used in cider:

http://funkfactorybrewing.blogspot.co.u ... panel.html

Also, of note, Look at the S. paradoxus reference down near the bottom.

Plus look at this Gervin yeast description.

Wine Yeast, Varietal B Yeast (GV9)
Another quality "aromatic" yeast, intended to be for making wines with a young fruity aroma. It starts readily, gives little foam, and works well at temperatures down to 10 degrees C. Will metabolise up to 30% of malic acid. Good for dealing with fruits with high malic acid levels, such as gooseberries and rhubarb.

Now, that IS interesting!

Simon.

I would stick with the malolactic bacteria, brett would end up sour thats not what you want. Old rosie yeast is exactly what you need, gives the right balance. :thumb: :thumb:

Quote from this site:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtop ... 9&t=105034

"Like a good English ale, I would shoot for low 60s. If it gets more towards 70 F, I wouldn't worry too much, but I think it's better to keep it a little bit cool if you are able. Warmer temperatures can cause formation of fusel alcohols that taste "hot" and can cause headaches, so that's the main reason to avoid >75 F. And they say low and slow is the way to go to preserve as much of the volatile apple aromas as possible, so fermentation in the 50s is not out of the question either -- it just takes a lot longer is all.

Let us know how it turns out. I'll be making a couple batches of cider very soon as well. For one I'll use wine or cider yeast, and for the other I want to try an ale yeast, just to see what happens. I plan to split those batches even further and add Brettanomyces in the last third or quarter of fermentation, to give the cider a pleasant funkiness. Brett yeast can make things taste a little like a barnyard -- you know, like lamb chops and goat cheese, horse sweat, etc. -- but in a GOOD way!"

I'm just intrigued about the idea of other yeasts and bacteria in ciders.

Simon

asd said:
Brewtrog said:

How typical! Mine sat at the back of the fridge for a few weeks and got pitched into the next TC batch last night!

If you are still sitting on a mountain of apple juice in two or three weeks time let me know... :thumb:

Latest posts

Back