Malolactic fermentation with Malocid in my Turbo: Results.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be really interested in that possibility.

Could be interesting if I do about 50 litres each of a late Brett, a Sacchromyces followed by Malocid, and an Old Rosie culture - All malic acided up.

So many things to do, so little time!

Simon.

:lol: He's got cider fever this one!!!

Well I pitched it last night but stupidly forgot to get it out of the fridge and rouse it in room temp AJ before I'd filled the FV with juice.

My decision was to pitch straight from the fridge on the grounds that even cold it would start quicker than any invaders...

...not a hell of a lot happening in there at the mo...

bugger.

Yes I have a yeast cake from my last bitter which i have tried to revive in 1L of wort before tommorows brewday and I am suffering the same not much action. :twisted: :twisted:

I have got some SO4 on standby All they had in my LHBS) but I would rather not. :lol: :lol:

It's all very familiar with this ruddy culture...

...it started off as the one you sent me - the yeast couldn't be arsed but the bacteria were fine! I'll likely have to source some more champagne yeast at this rate...

Oddly the bottles carbed up a treat...

...I'll give it another couple of days.

I have got a whole load from the last lot which i have just bottled which I will try and get going again soon. :thumb: 4 cartons of juice on shopping list :whistle:

I just love getting my apple juice from tesco...

ONLINE!!! :lol:

The look on the guys face is always funny, like he's thinking, "Ha ha, this f**king idiot's ordered 2 dozen litres of juice, wonder how many he *actually* wanted..."

Hi,

I e-mailed Weston's asking about Old Rosie. It seems that indeed MLF is used, but they then flash pasteurise / hot fill all of their products. This might explain the difficulty I have had in cultivating Old Rosie. As I think I said further up this thread, some of you must have got lucky!

Also, thinking about it, I tend to agree with a recent post which reckons Westons must use commercial cultures. I'm sure ALL big outfits use readily reproducible , standardised, available, cultures. They don't keep their jar of magic bugs down the well - but they might keep them in their lab-. So, suitably humbled, I am going to make a cider , add malic acid to get it to the West Country pH ballpark Or else blend some bittersweet juice in, ferment out with Saccharomyces, and then add malolactic bacteria towards the end of the fermentation.

And then go back to making beer.

(and do the Brett thing another time!).

Simon.

yquhyran.jpg

Excuse the random stranger but this is a picture taken by me last summer on a tour of Westons, they have loads of these very old oak vats which they use to age their cider in. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is the source of the malolactic bacteria, what did surprise me was the claim that all their cider passed through them..... I do wonder if some of the more mainstream stuff is pumped in then straight out again!

And when I asked about yeast yes it is champagne yeast.

keith1664 said:

Most cider yeast is though like beer yeast the strain will have developed over the years to their own unique strain.

With regards to it being pastuerised, the vintage scrumpy most certainly is but I have never had a problem getting OR going so I doubt that it is for that one.

:thumb: :thumb:

keith1664 said:
yquhyran.jpg

Excuse the random stranger but this is a picture taken by me last summer on a tour of Westons, they have loads of these very old oak vats which they use to age their cider in. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is the source of the malolactic bacteria, what did surprise me was the claim that all their cider passed through them..... I do wonder if some of the more mainstream stuff is pumped in then straight out again!

Fantastic! Looks like the Port houses (in Porto)! Thanks for that picture very much!

asd

graysalchemy said:
keith1664 said:

Most cider yeast is though like beer yeast the strain will have developed over the years to their own unique strain.

With regards to it being pastuerised, the vintage scrumpy most certainly is but I have never had a problem getting OR going so I doubt that it is for that one.

:thumb: :thumb:

But they have told me it IS pasteurised. Flash pasteurised.

And it would make sense (to me at least) :- all these folks that manage to make alcohol drinks which make the mass market, need to be consistent across the mass market. If, due to the fact that the cider was still "live" , and it had gone it's own way in a bottle released internationally,Rosie didn't taste nice , or blew up somewhere, Westons would be pretty F**ked. They need consistency. You can't have that with live product from one source nationally or globally. Anyone with any insight into major drinks and alcohol production would pasteurise their goods before national distribution. It is standard practice.

But, things DO creep thru the Pasteurisation net - Pasteurisation is NOT sterilisation.

And when I asked about yeast yes it is champagne yeast.[/quote]

That is the same answer that I got from a Bulmers scientist, and also the same conclusion I came to when I was fermenting off my trees - when I had them - about 15 years ago.

ASD

If I remember correctly the tubes are filled with apple pulp and it then spins and closes up. Excuse my vagueness but the visit was a few beers ago!

If you're in the area I do recommend a visit, if only for the tastings afterwards. :drunk:

I've just successfully put on a 5gallon batch of cider with OR yeast I have cultured up. I'm a total noob too.

Pasteurised or not, even I can manage it.

Yes if it was pasteurised then we wouldn't be able to culture up the yeast, too many of us have managed it. Certainly the vintage still cider would be, but they could still force carb with live yeast in as long as there are no fermentables left, which there wouldn't then there would still be consistent cider.

One other point to know the staff who run tours especially in these big places don't have anything to do with the brewing and quiet often the story which they tell is for general consumption.

Latest posts

Back