March 2024 - Freestyle competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many have you received all together
10 beers from 5 brewers! And a lovely selection to boot; saisons, IPAs, lagers, a bitter & a stout!

Will make a start on judging tonight with a view that I'll likely need to finish tomorrow night!

Attachments

• IMG_20240405_182923328.jpg
    IMG_20240405_182923328.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
Thank you to all brewers who submitted entries this month. I thoroughly enjoyed the judging, particularly the wide range of styles and would definitely recommened others have a go at this category in future. Without further ado, here is the top 3:

1. @Leon103 - DIPA
2. @samale - dark lager
3. @pilgrimhudd - California common

Congratulations to the top 3, they were all superb beers. @Leon103, I will get your prize beers out to you next weekend as I'm off on holiday today!

I will post individual feedback by PMs today.

Thank you to all brewers who submitted entries this month. I thoroughly enjoyed the judging, particularly the wide range of styles and would definitely recommened others have a go at this category in future. Without further ado, here is the top 3:

1. @Leon103 - DIPA
2. @samale - dark lager
3. @pilgrimhudd - California common

Congratulations to the top 3, they were all superb beers. @Leon103, I will get your prize beers out to you next weekend as I'm off on holiday today!

I will post individual feedback by PMs today.
Great news to wake up to, it's been a tough couple of days but this cheered me up. Thank for judging getting the feedback out soon(will get a cuppa and read now). Enjoy your holiday

Should have also said congrats to @samale and @pilgrimhudd

Like all my recipes, the DIPA is in my brewday thread.

Like usual, I have brewed a few times since updating this thread. Over the last few brews I have began to really question a few things, don't get me wrong the beer turns out good (perhaps by luck), but there are always mistakes. I learn from one and then something else goes wrong.

First beer was a DIPA which I brewed a few weeks ago and kegged last weekend. The beer turned out good and got some time to improve before it goes off to @Hoddy. Along with Dan we have brewed different DIPA's to help with the recipe development at Maverick Brew Co.

The plan was to brew a smaller than normal batch - too much DIPA might turn me into an alcoholic. Now this was the first and big issue, I use a 50l AIO, the water level would be too low for the planned 15l batch so I had to up it to 18l and adjust accordingly - more water, more grain. A nice thick mash with plenty of rice hulls. Hit all my numbers for a nice 8% session beer.

The other issue with this brew was the pump filter got blocked, will discard in the future.View attachment 96974

Well done everyone. The dark lager didn't last long. I should make another with some slight adjustments from the feed back

Latest posts

Back