September Competition - American Pale Ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJA

Landlord.
Reaction score
Sorry this is late!

I'll be judging the September Competition - American Pale Ales

I'm not going to be too strict on style - It doesn't have to be BJCP18 - I'll welcome pales, IPAs, NEIPAs, DIPAs, TIPAs, blondes, bretted pales, even ambers if you feel inclined. As long as it is approximately American and pale.
But do say what it is!

I'll do my best to judge blind. Blinding will be carried out by my partner. There may be a co-judge if there are lots of entries. I'll use the BJCP forms but please note that I have no judging training or certifications and this will be my own interpretation.

Noting this late email, to give time for submission, I'll be judging on Friday 13th October, and will judge anything that arrives by this date, but to ensure beer is properly chilled and settled, best to send prior to this date.

Winners announced and feedback provided on Saturday 14th October

PM for address.

Thanks
Anthony

Bumping this, as haven't had many responses yet.

Brewed an American Red Ale yesterday. Would that fit in with this months style? It's supposed to be a hoppy red, if that makes any difference?

Brewed an American Red Ale yesterday. Would that fit in with this months style? It's supposed to be a hoppy red, if that makes any difference?
Sure, happy for this to be included.
If it helps, a friend brewed a American Red, which felt short on 'redness', entered it into a competition as an amber and placed.

I've got an American Amber Ale I could send in if that's OK.

Also, where do you stand on Black IPA? I mean, it's got "Pale" in the name 😉 (no worries if that's a step too far 😂)

Gentle reminder to get the beers in the post this weekend if you can. I'm still waiting on a few, and might do some of the judging next Thursday.
Thanks

Hi
I have just moved my keg into the kegerator today..I'm hoping I haven't screwed the beer up.
It's been sitting in my lagering chamber at 1c for 10days waiting for it's slot in the kegerator. Usually I attach to Co2 when it's in the cold chamber to maintain pressure and carb..for some reason I hadn't turned the gas on at the secondary reg...I'm hoping no O2 has got through the keg seal in the cold as it wasn't up to pressure when i turned the gas on🥺.
If it's good I'll send first class Monday.

I have run out of brown PET bottles and I gave up trying to pour straight from the keg into a glass bottle years ago. I will see if I can get a dark soda pop bottle tomorrow and use that. A bit ghetto but hey 🤷‍♂️

Beers were judged yesterday afternoon, and without further ado, I can announce the winner as.....

@matt76 with his Mustang American Amber Ale.

Honourable mentions are @matt76 In the belly of a fruit bat BIPA, and @dave77 with an APA.

Feedback will drop into DMs very shortly. On reflection I may have been harsh with scoring, but hopefully for the competition consistently harsh. So you can probably bump the scores up a couple.

Thank you to all entrants for allowing me to taste the beers.

Back