Mead and making a Rumtopf

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandersnatc

Reaction score
Is it possible? Could it work?
My first attempts at making Mead sort of went critical and I've ended up with rather a lot of it.
I know it will keep and improve with age but I was wondering if it could be used as a base for a Rumtopf ??
Opinions valued
Thank you
Bandersnatch..

I don't think it's strong enough for a rumtopf as the juice from the fruit would dilute it quite considerable and probably the residual yeast in the mead would set the whole thing fermenting again and it would end up too dry.
I make mead about every three or four years because I don't drink it often, but when I do, nothing else will do. My experience is that it gets better and better with age and my ten-year-old is really something now.
Incidentally, I've just ordered a Mangrove Jack's mead yeast out of curiosity- I'd always used general purpose wine yeast before. Has anybody got any experience of this yeast? Does it make a difference?

Thanks.
Thought it would be something like that. Oh well
Storage time lol

Only used wine yeast so far but as I'm new to this I want simple first...... THEN, play with flavours :-)

Back