milestone IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbob

Regular.
Reaction score
So I thought I'd give Milestone IPA a go. I think all the warm weather might have affected the brew, but I can honestly say I've not enjoyed it at all. Its supposed to be an IPA, but look at the pic, it looks more like a wherry but the taste is not good, its very thin and was a bit sour from the off, it didn't carbonate, although that may have been due to the weather. Due to the lack of carbonation it didn't hold the head, and with the proliferation of other kits out there that really are great I don't think I'll be doing this again [URL=http://s178.photobucket.com/us...et.com/albums/w243/Rob_1001/image-7.jpg[/img][/url]

That looks a dark IPA!

Do you know how close to Sell By it was? I have read that DME can darken with age and I had a very dark lager once, near sell by date. I haven't done this kit though, so no no idea if that's the usual colour.

Sorry don't know what the sell by date was, but it was really dark and malty, not what you'd expect from an IPA, I was wondering if they got the tins mixed up

I've just done this kit, My lot came out darker than expected too but tasted marvelous.
not a lot of carbonation in the barrel but the few bottles I did were spot on

I recently made this kit and brewed it short to 20 litres, its been maturing for about 4-5 weeks and it tastes fantastic, one of my favourite kits. I bottled half of it and the rest when into my mini keg. so far I've tried this one and the milestone stout which also tastes fantastic want to try the milestone crusader next.
the ipa came out at 4.2% and it is quite dark for an ipa.

fermenting: ----
maturing: milestone ipa, milestone stout, brewferm diabolo, wilko real ale, wilko golden lager,
muntons cabernet sauvignon, wilko black cherry wine

drinking: milestone ipa, milestone stout, brewferm diabolo

Brewed this monday night to just over 20L. Instructions say it should be 22.5L so I hoped it being slightly short would have raised the starting gravity. But it came out at 1036 :shock:

checked on it a few times last night and the air lock is going crazy, producing big bubbles every 1-2 mins.

Also does anyone know what hops are in this?

Brewed this yesterday - my first brew. Don't know how fermentation affects the colour, but the wort did look darker than most of the IPAs I drink. However the smell was wonderful.

It's about 24 hours since I pitched the yeast and it's now bubbling away happily with a thick krausen. Just have to wait now. I'll report back in a month or so when it's ready to drink. The instructions say it should mature for 4 weeks so patience, it would seem, is key.

This was the first kit I ever did,

It is very dark and to be honest nothing like an IPA..

The one mistake I did make was brewing it on a really hot July day.. It brewed at around 24ºc.

It might have been my first time brew mistakes but I didn't like it much..

My review of it seems to match that perfectly with the original post. Maybe the weather affected it but it wasn't particularly enjoyable.

Further to my post above, I've just bottled my batch. Compared to the picture above, it looks rather lighter and more like an IPA to me. As I said, it's my first brew so I don't really know what was going on or why it's turned out so different.

milestone ipa1.jpg

Yeah that looks def a shade lighter than mine.. Mine looks similar to the original posters picture. Although he thinks and I have read elsewhere some people think that they kit tins get mixed up... maybe maybe not who knows

One thing I might ask is.. do you have head space in that bottle, it could be the angle but it looks like you have filled that right to the cap.

I didn't really give it much thought but I did leave a bit of space. The instructions suggest 12mm, though I was probably between 5 and 15 from the brim.

Do you think there's a chance of some explosions then?

I started this kit off on the 31st of May and so far it's progressing nicely, a very fast start, slowing over the last few days. Tried my hardest to keep the lid on this time, but had to take a reading tonight. Dry Pitched at 27c with a OG of 1040.

I've noted the discussion about colour and it does look dark but closer inspection this evening and mine seems to be lightning up as the yeast does its thing.

My question is about the residual krausen and clumps of yeast that are floating on top of the wort. Is this 'normal', should I be concerned and if I want to stop the brew early what might the implications be.

Reading tonight was 1012, instructions suggest 1009 give or take. The instructions also talk about adding brewing sugar to carbonate, but I was hoping for an ale, i.e. Flat not fizzy, Is this optional, can I miss out the bubbles?

Many thanks

I started this kit off on the 31st of May and so far it's progressing nicely, a very fast start, slowing over the last few days. Tried my hardest to keep the lid on this time, but had to take a reading tonight. Dry Pitched at 27c with a OG of 1040.

I've noted the discussion about colour and it does look dark but closer inspection this evening and mine seems to be lightning up as the yeast does its thing.

My question is about the residual krausen and clumps of yeast that are floating on top of the wort. Is this 'normal', should I be concerned and if I want to stop the brew early what might the implications be.

Reading tonight was 1012, instructions suggest 1009 give or take. The instructions also talk about adding brewing sugar to carbonate, but I was hoping for an ale, i.e. Flat not fizzy, Is this optional, can I miss out the bubbles?

Many thanks

http://homebrewmanual.com/priming-sugar-carbonation/

Adding priming sugar is more than just about bubbles - mouth feel, head, giving the residual yeast something to munch on (so helps it clear a bit more). Have a look at the rough and ready guide in the link....

As for the floaters, don't worry. Put your syphon tube about an inch of the bottom of the fv, stop syphoning when the liquid level gets close to the trub at the bottom.

Many thanks

I hope you got that temp down from 27.. I only say this because I did this kit my first ever kit infact and I pitched at 25 and it went along at 24 and well it didn't taste good because of that..

Every brew is different and I possibly did a few other newbie mistakes then to contribute.

http://homebrewmanual.com/priming-sugar-carbonation/

Adding priming sugar is more than just about bubbles - mouth feel, head, giving the residual yeast something to munch on (so helps it clear a bit more). Have a look at the rough and ready guide in the link....

As for the floaters, don't worry. Put your syphon tube about an inch of the bottom of the fv, stop syphoning when the liquid level gets close to the trub at the bottom.

A very useful and interesting read ManseMasher, thank you :thumb:

I hope you got that temp down from 27.. I only say this because I did this kit my first ever kit infact and I pitched at 25 and it went along at 24 and well it didn't taste good because of that..

Every brew is different and I possibly did a few other newbie mistakes then to contribute.

Yes I must admit, a little impatient in wanting to pitch the yeast. I'm confident however that I've got away with it thus far. Racking off and then time spent conditioning will tell I suppose.

I'm meticulous come brew days and I even used bottled water, I do need to invest in a digital thermometer because the one I'm using doesn't fill me with confidence.

I'll definitely feedback and provide some photo's of the finished brew - whatever state it ends up!:cheers:

Back