Misleading Asda Water!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps I should get one of those salifert things, because not knowing the true composition really does upset me.

I cannot stand not knowing things for sure, it is a big fault of mine, but comes in handy sometimes I guess.

The RO filter should remove all the Chlorine through the activated charcoal filter but barely reduces the Chloramine.

Chloramine requires a special kind of activated charcoal filter called a catalytic carbon filter and these are generally not available for entry-level systems.

How much would you need to spend to get one that would do the job please H?

My husband says he can tell the difference with campden (in his beers) but to be honest I can't.

I hate crushing them but also I feel like it's so chemically and bad for you - I know that's daft, but I just have an aversion to it.
Ask yourself, what’s the evidence for this fear/dislike of campden? The word chemical can be emotive but everything in nature is a complex soup of chemicals.

I’ll tell you something that is bad for us and there’s plenty of evidence - alcohol!

How much would you need to spend to get one that would do the job please H?

My husband says he can tell the difference with campden (in his beers) but to be honest I can't.

If you have a chat with the guys at Vyair, they’ll be able to talk you through the options and costs, and answer any questions arising.

Sam Stainton
Sales & Technical Consultant
Vyair (UK) Limited
Unit 3 Belvoir Court
Fairfield Industrial Estate
Louth
Lincolnshire
LN11 0UD
United Kingdom
Tel: 01507 524576
email: [email protected]
web: www.vyair.com

There is no evidence, it's an irrational fear and I accept that, but once I've decided something I don't change my mind, and I get extremely annoyed with people who try to change my mind.

One thing that does worry me though is some of it getting on my floor and my cat getting hold of it. It could make him very poorly I'm sure if he ingests some of it. After all if you breathe it in, it takes your oxygen away. Horrible stuff.

I've had breathing problems all my life - my mum and dad used to tell me that they thought I was choking in my sleep. They never did anything about it though. Then when I was about 7 or 8 I had my tonsils and adenoids out because I was struggling to breathe as they were so large. Now I find the sleep apnea a huge problem. I've never been able to solely breathe through my nose, and never been able to neck a glass of pop like my brother used to do. I think it may come from that to be honest if I'm analysing why I hate campden so much.

It's like being scared of spiders I guess. Sorry for being a weirdo but that's just me.

Last edited:
When using an RO filter you may find you don’t need campden at all, or even a filter to remove Chloramine. Chloramine is only a problem if you have it in the first place (many areas don’t) and if it affects your beer making it taste medicinal.

I used to make beer from my tap water with no treatment whatever and never had any medicinal taste. My treatments these days are for different reasons or as a precaution.

There is no evidence, it's an irrational fear and I accept that, but once I've decided something I don't change my mind, and I get extremely annoyed with people who try to change my mind.

One thing that does worry me though is some of it getting on my floor and my cat getting hold of it. It could make him very poorly I'm sure if he ingests some of it. After all if you breathe it in, it takes your oxygen away. Horrible stuff.

I've had breathing problems all my life - my mum and dad used to tell me that they thought I was choking in my sleep. They never did anything about it though. Then when I was about 7 or 8 I had my tonsils and adenoids out because I was struggling to breathe as they were so large. Now I find the sleep apnea a huge problem. My parents didn't have a clue. I've never been able to solely breathe through my nose, and never been able to neck a glass of pop like my brother used to do. I think it may come from that to be honest if I'm analysing why I hate it so much.

It's like being scared of spiders I guess. Sorry for being a weirdo but that's just me.
I understand irrational fear - I’m afraid of heights! Hitting the ground would be a rational fear but I’m not planning on throwing myself off anything. 🤷‍♂️

As regards "chemicals"...Read the label on the average shampoo or deodorant spray bottle...
I've spent the last 20 years or so working in chemical processing plants...I'm immune to Campden tabs and such due to my blood being a 50/50 mix of industrial and home produced alcohols *.
* could be untrue
Oh...and watch out for that Asda...they also say you're not to "publish" any of their literature...

You obviously haven't read my reasoning for not wanting to use it - either that or you don't care.

And common sense to one is bullsh1t to another. Just saying.

And to hell with Asda. Let them sue me. I didn't tell any lies.

@Clint - I love your humour: you give me faith in the ultimate triumph of common sense athumb..
Just a general observation, especially in industry,over the years I've been quite amazed at the apparent lack of common sense and blind stupidly I've witnessed. Usually from "clever " people.

You obviously haven't read my reasoning for not wanting to use it - either that or you don't care.

And common sense to one is bullsh1t to another. Just saying.

And to hell with Asda. Let them sue me. I didn't tell any lies.
I don't think anyone "doesn't care"...and your reasons are valid and personal to yourself. As for the suggestions regarding the Campden/no Campden the best for yourself might be to let the water just stand overnight.

Thanks Clint. To be honest I feel railroaded into using it, as everyone seems to have the opposite opinion to me, but no matter what anyone says I'm not going to use it.

We have decided not to get a RO system, having spoken to the hubby, and we're gonna give the RO water machine thing a go for a brew or two to see what happens. Either that or just keep using the bottled stuff - bought in person of course. It's the simplest and best option that's worked for me so far. I seem to be able to get to the profile I want with adding the salts, by following the label on the bottle as a base.

You're right too in thinking about what's not good for your pets...something Mrs Clint and I are always concerned about with our three dogs and five cats..its difficult and can be impossible most of the time to deal with!
Water is a good example...we give them plenty of fresh water every day...out of the tap!
ANY processed food we give them...mine love ham,cheese,sausages...not every day,but you know..treats...can't be that good for them..
Then we mop the floors at home..with something out of a bottle...they walk on it..
It's a never ending circle...but we do our best!!

What do you all reckon to the spotless water things that are about? Just been reading the thread.

I've been in a similar situation to yourself....live in a rock hard water area, spent many brews using Tesco Ashbeck water as a water low in mineral content. I bought an RO system, used it for maybe 8 brews, got fed up with the time required to produce 30L or so of RO and was also never comfortable with the amount of "waste" (in quotes because I know its not truly waste and can be used for many things) water. Even after I'd got a water butt.....two brews and it was full and in winter there was no way I'd be using the waste "water" for much, so once the butt was full it wouldn't be long before the bypass product was going down the drain.

I've been using Spotless for about a year now. I can detect no issues with the beer brewed using Spotless water and I have no concerns about the water sitting in pipes in the Spotless system.....if you saw the number of window cleaners queuing up to fill their tanks it you would see that the throughput of the system almost rivals that of a pump at your local petrol station.

My "local" Spotless filling station is a 38 mile/ one hour round trip - now that might sound like a hefty trip but when you consider a trip to my local Tesco would be maybe a 15 mile/40 minute round trip, or that it might take 5 or 6 hours to produce the required amount of RO water....it puts it into a bit of perspective....and usually I can tie my trip in with something else that I need to be doing in the rough area where my Spotless station is.

I personally would never go back to a domestic RO system, having used Spotless. Its not difficult to check on the TDS of the Spotless stuff yourself with a simple meter, but the systems do have a readout which tells you what the current TDS is (assuming you are willing to trust it!).

One caveat (and this holds true for the domestic RO systems as well as Spotless)...A lot of folks in my brewing club have used Spotless/RO, or regularly tasted beers that exclusively used Spotless/RO water, and we all agree that there is something lacking in beers that are 100% RO...they are not as rich in flavour, being a bit one dimensional. We've concluded that it is best not to use neat RO water but to cut it with the domestic tap supply....there are minerals within your domestic water supply (over and above the half a dozen or so that us brewers tend to focus on) that are useful to yeast health (zinc for example) that we typically don't put back when we add the traditional brewing salts. Its useful to keep a little bit of the minerals in the domestic supply as part of your brewing water.

What this allows you to do is to blend RO water and your tap water in varying amounts, depending upon the beer being brewed, and if you are clever enough you can create blends that then naturally limit the salt additions that you need to make to the bare minimum.

Oh yeah...according to ASDA's website, 4x2L bottles of Natural Still mineral Water will cost you £1.25 or 15.6p/L....Spotless works out at 4.2p/Litre and you don't have to worry about taking all the empty plastic bottles down to the recycling centre when you've finished.

Thank you Nick, great advice and what I've been waiting to hear. We will definitely try it with a small percentage of our tap water then. Just not willing to use campden - and to be honest I really don't think I need it for my tap water. The only problem with it, is it's too high in bicarbonates and calcium for very pale beers.

My local one is Hull and about 25 miles so shouldn't take too long to get there and back. Not worried about that aspect at all. In fact it'll be nice to get out for an hour lol

Thank you Nick, great advice and what I've been waiting to hear. We will definitely try it with a small percentage of our tap water then. Just not willing to use campden - and to be honest I really don't think I need it for my tap water. The only problem with it, is it's too high in bicarbonates and calcium for very pale beers.

My local one is Hull and about 25 miles so shouldn't take too long to get there and back. Not worried about that aspect at all. In fact it'll be nice to get out for an hour lol

You will need a reasonable volume jerry can(s) to fill up....the pumps are quite fast flow rate....I use a couple of these....

20 Litre UN Black Plastic Jerry Can & Din61 T/E Cap - 0161 367 1414 (ampulla.co.uk)

If you dont want to use Campden then just draw off whatever tap water you need and let it stand uncovered over night.

(If you decide to sign up to Spotless then by all means use my referral code "spotless18361"...depending on how much you deposit into your account...I may get a little reward :hat:.....and that applies to anyone else who feels like giving Spotless a go :laugh8:)

Latest posts

Back