Misleading Asda Water!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. I’ve already signed up, and sent for some fobs.

Also take your point about mixing to minimise additions. I have been playing about with the dilution rates on brewfather and it’s pretty easy to customise the mix so you can add as little as possible to it.

Last edited:
Depends where she lives - she might be spending the extra £8 on water treatment if she doesn’t buy her water in.

Seriously though, I was terrified by water treatment for quite a while but if you have a water report and find a decent calculator (I use the one on Jim’s Beer Kit) it’s actually very straightforward, and will be much cheaper (and better for the environment) than buying multiple 500ml bottles of supermarket water.

I didn't say she had to do what I did.

£8 a brew on water treatment is not worth it.

So I’ve just found this bad boy in the garage and I’d forgotten I had it. The website says the filters reduce carbonate hardness, so calcium and magnesium ions. It also reduces free and bound chlorine (I assume bound chlorine is chloramine, as I’ve been reading that chloramine is actually chlorine attached to ammonia), and lead & copper.

Although I don’t know how much it reduces these things, it will make me feel a little better about having to partially use my tap water when using the RO water. And I feel like I can use a greater percentage of my tap water now. Still partial guesswork of how many salts to use though :confused:

60281594-4D2B-4B4F-B9ED-65579595BE8E.png

Morning @Tess Tickle :-)
Entirely optional, but just in case at some point you wanted to measure the bicarbonate and calcium levels in your water (either fresh from the tap, or after filtering/acid additions etc), the 'Salifert' aquarium testing kits work well and are pretty easy to use.

They may seem a but pricey but you can get around a hundred tests out of them. If you have contacts who keep fish then they may already have something like this.

@strange-steve wrote a good HowTo with pics of how to use these tests and interpret the results: How To Use Salifert Alkalinity and Calcium Test Kits

This one measures hardness (bicarbonate):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salifert-KH-Alkalinity-Profi-Test-Kit/dp/B001EJ3DOG
Screenshot 2022-04-05 at 09.18.05.png

And this one measures calcium (less critical but still very useful to know)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salifert-Calcium-Ca-Test-Kit/dp/B00PGOYVE6
Screenshot 2022-04-05 at 09.21.01.png

Morning to you also TETB and thanks - I think it would be a good idea if I got those for a little peace of mind yes.

I was also considering a TDS meter, but although they tell you how many solids are in your water, they don't tell you what they are and how much of each one there is. It's a minefield.

Last edited:
I was also considering a TDS meter, but although they tell you how many solids are in your water, they don't tell you what they are and how much of each one there is. It's a minefield.
Yep - I may be wrong, but I only really use a TDS meter to tell when my RO membrane (or carbon filter cartridge in a jug like the one you showed above) need replacing athumb..

Latest posts

Back