Modern beer kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernie

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've come back to kit brewing after a long lay off and have noticed that the quality of the beer is much better. Does anyone know where this improvement has come from? Malt, yeast or otherwise?

One idea I have is that people were fermenting at too high a temperature in the past. Have the yeasts changed or were people doing it wrongly?

yeasts have changed considerably. I remember having to use bread yeasts...... :?

but your right the production of kit beers has improved tremendously in the last 10-15 yrs ( thankfully in some cases )

Yeasts have been cultured for thousands of years so I doubt they've changed much in the last 15. I seem to remember the same anonymous silver packets included with the kit.

I suspect the biggest improvement is the freshness of the wort driven in part by the larger market place.

perhaps I should have qualified my remark.
vast improvements in the yeasts available to the homebrewer !

I think its partly down to the fact that we amateur brewers are now getting access to a much wider range of Yeasts of better quality than was available years ago. There is a clear improvement in kits, for instance I don't recall 2 can kits 15 years ago. Also with the support of forums like this our knowledge is greatly improved, there are even some professional brewers who input to this forum for instance.

I remember making drinkable ale when I did homebrew with my Dad 30 years ago although the one lager we tried was awful. It was nothing like a decent pub pint though. I suspect the key differences now are two can kits, maybe better malt extract, better dried yeast and better information. For example, I think we probably brewed in the airing cupboard which I now know is far too warm.

I'd agree with Bernie & rpt about temperatures. The prevailing wisdom for homebrew back in the '80's was the airing cupboard - must've got to some horrible temperatures in summer...well over 30C.
The other thing I think makes a difference that's not been mentioned is the internet and forums like this. I presume back in the day there were people who knew about correct temps etc. there just wasn't any easy way to speak to them and get advice

T'interbob makes a huge difference. Although I have a number of books on brewing you just can't beat forums like this (plus all the other info that Google finds) to fill in some of the detail and to find out what really works for people. And of course you can ask questions.

rpt said:
T'interbob makes a huge difference. Although I have a number of books on brewing you just can't beat forums like this (plus all the other info that Google finds) to fill in some of the detail and to find out what really works for people. And of course you can ask questions.

Yes agree with this but something in the underlying kits has changed too because the first one I did recently (which was 28 years after I first brewed a kit) was astonishingly good even though I only followed the instructions, and didn't take into account the great wisdom to be found in this forum.

Of course in the past the LHBS was a good source of advice but not as comprehensive or detailed as the advice here: also the great thing about this forum is people give full and helpful answers so even if they are contradictory answers (which they usually are) you can understand the reasoning behind them and make up your own mind according to your personal circumstances and priorities.

I am convinced that 20 years ago it was my incompetence and total lack of knowledge which had the biggest effect. The only batch which was any good was the one I forgot about after I brewed it. Even then the penny didn't drop.

I am sure the poor results with Boots kits were more to do with my total lack of knowledge about fermentation, secondary fermentation, sterilising and maturation. That is where this type of forum is so helpful.

I really did brew some purest undrinkable muck....which I still drank! If only I had known then what I know now.

Purely down to market force driving demand for a better product.

Yeah, the technology moves on anyway but the only reason it makes it to the LHBS shelf is you.

The improvements in process include (but not necessarily for all kits...)

- Better yeasts (e.g. Better Brew who supply an appropriate yeast for the style of beer)
- Better malt (e.g. Muntons Gold which use worts which have been through the hot break before concentration.)
- Better hopping (I think most [all?] are still hopped with hop extract however some are then cold filled into pouches [Better Brew, Simply, Ritchies Festival] which preserves the hop extract better)
- More malt - two can kits are far more prevalent
- Additions, Some Ritchies Festival kits come with hop pellets for dry hopping, Woodfordes come with hop extract infused maltodextrin for an extra punch.

I did two-can kits in the 90s but but never got close to the Wherrys I did this year, on my return.

My kits have always been clear (as I recall), so not sure what benefit from the hot break, but the Wherrys were certainly more hoppy, even before I dry hopped them, than anything before - so maybe that hop extract infused maltowotsits works!

After recent move to all grain, I've been left with a wherry and a brewferm wheat beer unused. I'm sure I'll get around to them, though I'd quite fancy a try at a Festival kit after all the good reports.

I think the internet makes a massive difference. I've been doing kit brews since March and followed kit instructions,most of it has been really bad...but drinkable :grin:
When I found this forum though my kit brewing has improved immensely and it tastes better now out the hydrometer tube than a finished beer 8 months back :shock:
all thanks to you lovely peeps on this forum :cheers: else otherwise I'd have probably stopped doing it

Better quality ingredients. Homebrew used to be about making cheap beer. the rising price of commercial beer because of taxes means homebrew compannies could raise their prices and therefore use better quality ingredients while still staying cheaper than shop bought or pubs.

Because people are more aware of whats available and demand quality as much as value now it encourages the producers to try to maintain if not improve the quality rather than just seeing it as extra profit

Latest posts

Back