Moving up to All Grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth_H

Reaction score
Hi

I have brewed a few kits now, 3 x Young's AIPA, 1 x Cwtch and 1 Modded Cooper's IPA on the go. I now want to move up to trying All Grain.

I have read some of the simple hob guides and watched the Brewbits video [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itKEGXO3n3U"]here[/ame] which I found very useful.

Where I am stuck is not really knowing how to take a recipe and fit. So basically I have a 12l (to very top) Stock Pot.

So I need a recipe for a hoppy IPA and how much can I realistically make with that pot? 10l?

Hope that makes sense.

Have you look at the brew in a bag (BIAB) method ? It's a simpler intro to using grains. But interns of your 12L predicaments look at one of the online brew calculators and just scale down a brew you like the sound of to your ratios.

I use brewer's friend and beersmith to scale down or up a recipe
I was doing kits for a bit then moved up to biab
now do all grain using a ace microbrewery system which is nice and easy

Check out clibits Have a go at simple AG thread.

It's based on 5/6 litres i think, but easily scalable. Got me started on AG, very simple and easy guide.

Haven't looked back.

The smash in the simple all grain thread is a good intro to ag.

You may struggle to get 10litres post boil as you need some head space for the rolling boil.

I used galaxy (lovely but expensive) which has quite a high AA% (which contributes tonthe ibus) in my 2nd stove top brew and for 2dj worth (9litres) I used
4g at 60mins
12g at 10mins
12g at 5mins and
12g at flame out.

It is still my go to hop schedule (for smash beers and hoppy beers)

Have a play around with brewer's friend to get an idea of variables.
Generally
Early hops give mostly bittering and the later the hops are added the more flavour they provide.

I think 12L pot would be struggling to get 10L Wort, at least without doing a lot of mucking about which to be honest you probably will not want on your first AG brew..

I would say 5-8L is do able.

Try that and take it from there basically.

For my smaller brewswhich are around 10L I have a 15L pot and that seems about the right minimum size pot for 10L.

Beersmith will do that for you with the 'scale recipe' button at the top left of the toolbar. The pre-boil volume is the important one for you. The total water will be more than that and accounts for water lost to the grain used in the mash. If you're doing BIAB then that implies that you'll need a second pot in which to do a dunk sparge because you won't be able to fit all your water and the grain in the pot. You might be able to get away with a single pot if you have a helper willing to hold up the grain bag while you pour over some sparge water.

I'd advise not going close to the limit the first time you do it because you need to dial in your equipment losses to get the numbers to be really accurate and you can't do that until you've brewed at least once.

beersmith.png

Thanks everyone for input, will start with Cilbit's guide until I get used to what I am doing.

Back