My first homemade wine.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flan

Reaction score
Just bottled my first batch of Rhubarb wine, 12 bottles from 2 demijohns and a good taster for me, needless to say my cheeks are glowing. Got another 10 litres to bottle when i get the right bottles. Tastes a bit sweet but lovely, hoping the sweetness will subside after 4 or 5 months in the bottle.

Attachments

• 29DB9317-1338-4AAB-B46D-03C83879338F.jpeg
    29DB9317-1338-4AAB-B46D-03C83879338F.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1
  • C61F0F81-0247-4787-A143-BEA325290272.jpeg
    C61F0F81-0247-4787-A143-BEA325290272.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0
Nice one! Really professionally presented bottles.

Not sure about the sweetness subsiding, when I started wine making I followed CJJ Berry recipes with too much sugar and the wine was always too sweet til the last bottle. On a positive side sugar is also a preservative and the wine will probably keep well & improve over a few years.

If its too sweet, then either it's at 18% and the yeast has given up the ghost and there is still sugar left over, or it's not fully finished and you may end up with fizzy wine / bottle bombs as it continues to ferment in the bottle.
I would be tempted to crack one open in 2 weeks and see if its goes hiss.
I've done a few rhubarb wines, and they have never been sweet.

If its too sweet, then either it's at 18% and the yeast has given up the ghost and there is still sugar left over, or it's not fully finished and you may end up with fizzy wine / bottle bombs as it continues to ferment in the bottle.
I would be tempted to crack one open in 2 weeks and see if its goes hiss.
I've done a few rhubarb wines, and they have never been sweet.
Thanks nick, could it possibly be glycerine, i added 20ml to one batch of 5litres to see what difference it makes.

Looks great. Really nice to see the bottle finished off like that.
Thanks, First time i used a corker, only thing was it leaves a dent in the top of the cork it seems the plunger part is not quite as wide as the cork.

Latest posts

Back