my first WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can someone confirm if this sequence is correct please:

1 finish fermenting
2 rack onto campden and wine stabiliser
3 degass
4 leave to clear

or is the stabiliser added to the initial fermenter and then racked, degassed and left to clear?

thanks

can someone confirm if this sequence is correct please:

1 finish fermenting
2 rack onto campden and wine stabiliser
3 degass
4 leave to clear

or is the stabiliser added to the initial fermenter and then racked, degassed and left to clear?

thanks

This is the way i do it -

Once bubbles has slowed to one every few minutes leave it another week then -

Rack onto a crushed campden tablet.

Degass.

Add stabiliser.

Degass.

Add finings (i prefer kwik clear)

I use a home made stir stick and a cordless drill which makes degassing a 2 minute job, see video below on how to make one.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMwq3TpkqCE[/ame]

its been two days since all activity stopped it now looks like this..... should i continue to wait until Tuesday (7 days) to rack or should i do it now??

2014-07-25 14.25.59.jpg

You need to give it time for the yeast to clean up after itself, if you rush it you will end up with wine thar will get you drunk but it could also give you a bad head and worse bad guts, better be safe than sorry.

You need to give it time for the yeast to clean up after itself, if you rush it you will end up with wine thar will get you drunk but it could also give you a bad head and worse bad guts, better be safe than sorry.

thank you all wait until Tues than itll be a week of no activity

ive racked my first (top picture) into a 2nd DJ and added finings 24hrs ago and it looks like this... will keep in DJ for another 4 days and then bottle. and the second one (lower 2 pics) i started on the 18th looks like this its had no airlock activity for 5 days so on sat going to rack and add the relevant ingredients.

2014-07-31 17.49.19.jpg

2014-07-31 17.50.05.jpg

2014-07-31 17.50.15.jpg

I have two DJ's of WGJ and apple/raspberry currently fermenting like a lava lamp, i find RGJ and apple (which i usually make) does not throw up as much sediment.

The picture below was taken on day one, click this video link to see the lava lamp effect on day 2 - View My Video

20140727_153637.jpg

Bottled my RGJ and OJ and re-racked my other and added relevant ingredients ill have to re-rack as it had a lot of sediment in it.

2014-08-02 18.59.59.jpg

I always found juices like orange or mango always fermented vigorously and there was always a lot of sediment, i now use apple juice and either red grape or white grape, there is a lot less sediment and i prefer the taste. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back