Natural methods or the pill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol: you're choice of subject definitely raised my eyebrow :lol:

i've not used whirlfloc, and only used Protafloc once, irish moss every other time... protafloc gave me (and i think wez too) a loss because of cauliflower looking bits floating in the fermented beer, and that's made me weary of using it again.

Never had a problem with irish moss, infact i wonder why i even bothered with PF.

i dont use finings to drop my beer bright as ive found they drop bright by themselves in just the same time.

i guess i'm blessed with having "magic" water.

what's your grounds for asking? are you getting repeated cloudy beers?

I've tried the following with mixed results:

Irish Moss - found that I always had a haze problem
Whirlfloc - ok'ish results - but not consistent
Protofloc - good results - nice clear beer but if I transfer too much trub i end up with floaty cauliflower bits

I'm up at the brewery on Friday and I have arranged to pick up some of the finings that they use, so wil let you know how that goes, i'll be using it when I brew at the weekend.

Of the 3 above i'd probably favour protofloc though.

Wez said:
I've tried the following with mixed results:

Irish Moss - found that I always had a haze problem
Whirlfloc - ok'ish results - but not consistent
Protofloc - good results - nice clear beer but if I transfer too much trub i end up with floaty cauliflower bits

I'm up at the brewery on Friday and I have arranged to pick up some of the finings that they use, so wil let you know how that goes, i'll be using it when I brew at the weekend.

Of the 3 above i'd probably favour protofloc though.
Kingfisher said:
Just wondered which way you liked it Irish Moss or Whirlfoc Tablets :?:

I've only used Irish Moss up to now, on seven brews, with mixed results. One is particulary bright while the others have a haze, on one I missed the Moss out completely. I put this down to inexperience, :oops: there's still a lot of room for improvement.

I'm looking to try another clearing agent and wondered what the white tablets would produce. Do the floaty cauliflower bits settle out in fermentation or can you deal with them another way?

Look forward to W's report back from the brewery.

my cauliflower bits floated with a 3 inch depth into the beer... but they were soft and got sucked up the syphon, so i had to carefully put the end of my syphon between the floaty bits and the sediment at the bottom... wasn't an easy task i tell ya! ;)

I use Murphys protofloc . . . . which I suspect is what you all call whirlfloc . . . won't go back to Irish moss

Wez said:

You might want to check with them whether you need to use Aux finings with their stuff too - goes in before the finings proper - one is positively charged and the other is negatively charged - can't remember which is which...

I'm talking copper finings, i have AF and IG already :thumb:

Hello all i haven't used copper finnings for years & normally have crystal clear beers depending on the yeast strain used.That US 05 yeast is a bugger just kegged 6 cornies yesterday that was sitting under airlock at 5oc for 5 weeks & still cloudy.Never managed to get this yeast to clear without using issinglass so issinglass added to cornies that sorts it out. :party: :cheers:

Just having a pint of this cloudy 05 yeast beer that i added issinglass to last night clear as a bell now :party: :cheers:

I'm a Whirlfloc man. I ran out on my last brew and had to resort to Irish Moss and the difference in the clarity of the wort was outstanding. Gonna make sure I don't run out again...

Rabmaxwell said:
Just having a pint of this cloudy 05 yeast beer that i added issinglass to last night clear as a bell now :party: :cheers:

Thats the business RM :thumb:

Irish Moss. Not into bunging chemicals in my beer. If i wanted Chemicals in my beer i'd buy commercial stuff.

MEB said:
Irish Moss. Not into bunging chemicals in my beer. If i wanted Chemicals in my beer i'd buy commercial stuff.
:wha: :wha: :wha: Whirlfloc and protofloc are refined carageenan . . .obtained from . . . . Irish Moss . . . . Chemical :? :? :?

Perhaps i should have said man altered products/chemicals. If it's based on Irish moss why isn't it Irish moss? I've never seen or heard reported Irish moss growing in a tablet form? If Irish moss is 'useless' why isn't a tablet 'useless' that is the same thing? Because it isn't Irsih moss it's been chemicalised. :nono:
I'm not trying to impress anyone with the clarity of my beer. I'd prefer to concentrate on the taste and mouthfeel. Therefore i see no reason for me to put anything else in my beer. But i'm not knocking those who do. Good on them. If that's what they want. :cool:

Whats the point in a dark beer anyway? You couldn't see through my porter with a HID torch so it's clarity matters little. To be honest, slightly cloudy beer appeals to me equally as much as super bright beer. :cheers:

I quite like the fact that my beers are slightly hazy. But then i'm trying to be a heathen to get in with Vossy. :rofl:

I've previously used polyclar to combat chill haze
hidewall.gif
:oops:

Latest posts

Back