Need some advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steved53

Reaction score
I'm hoping that someone more experienced than me can give me some advice.

The photo shows a beer chiller that I've been sitting on for some time. I would like to use it to chill my conical fermenters. The JG fittings you can see are 15mm both ends.

How would you go about attaching to these and getting into the fermenter via a tc fitting?

I can't seem to find 15mm JG beer line and 15JG fittings seem few and far between. Help!

IMG_2677.jpg

Hi Steve, are you planning on pumping your wort through the chiller?

If so, probably not a good idea as you would need to ensure the chiller coil in the chiller and all associated pipework and fittings are sterile which is not easy. In general the cooling medium should be pumped through a cooling coil or fermenter jacket ensuring that everything that comes into contact with the wort is easily cleaned and sterile.

Hi Steve, are you planning on pumping your wort through the chiller?

If so, probably not a good idea as you would need to ensure the chiller coil in the chiller and all associated pipework and fittings are sterile which is not easy. In general the cooling medium should be pumped through a cooling coil or fermenter jacket ensuring that everything that comes into contact with the wort is easily cleaned and sterile.

No they are jacketed conical fermenters, with tc fittings for entry and exit. I'm sure I can devise some reducers to suit the tc fittings that I have, but I'm a bit stuck with this 15mm JG fitting.

JG stuff is designed for use where small bore capacity is ample, water coolers, beer lines, motor homes/caravan, soft drink dispensers etc, where you need to go to 15mm just use standard plumbing fittings, 15mm or 1/2" copper pipe or speedfit/pushfit Hep will all work though they will need liners inserted into the pipe (plastic), copper pipe will work also into pushfit fittings though you need to ensure it is free from deep scratches/dents around where the rubber ring will be sealing it.

JG stuff is designed for use where small bore capacity is ample, water coolers, beer lines, motor homes/caravan, soft drink dispensers etc, where you need to go to 15mm just use standard plumbing fittings, 15mm or 1/2" copper pipe or speedfit/pushfit Hep will all work though they will need liners inserted into the pipe (plastic), copper pipe will work also into pushfit fittings though you need to ensure it is free from deep scratches/dents around where the rubber ring will be sealing it.

Yes, that seems to be the case, but the confusing thing is the fittings shown in the photo seem to be the same as my other JG fittings, come fitted to a beer cooler and are attached to what looks like 15mm beer line.

Back