New here and new to All Grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevered

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Hi my name's Steve I'm up in Redcar. I've been brewing kits for about four years and had some great results. I've recently taken the plunge and collected some big stock pots, heating elements, ball valves and tubes to put together an All Grain brewing set up that has a working capacity of about 10 gallon. [/FONT]

I've run it once and found it a bit more complicated and messier than I expected. I'm still waiting to see how that one turns out!

Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum.
AG is a definite step up and takes a while to get used to the equipment and recipe selection.
10gallon is very adventurous for a first go, most like to start small to get the method right.
Having said the above it is not rocket science, start simple and work up.

And good luck with your first brew sure it will turn out fine, AG is quite forgiving :thumb:

hi Steve. You will get used to the equipment and process after a couple of brews, and you will hopefully be (very) impressed with the results. I only moved to AG last year and haven't looked back. My advice is to plan your brewday and be methodical on the day to avoid errors. I found brewing software useful for recipe development but also to print out the brewsteps for brewday (I use beersmith2)...even then I still make the odd blunder but haven't ruined a brew...yet...

Welcome aboard! This is the right place for questions and advice. Just remember, the only stupid question is the one that is not asked....

Thanks for the welcome. One thing which did occur to me is that my 10 gallon brew will take a while to drink meaning I'll probably only brew 6 times a year with extra ones for Christmas. I will take me a while to master AG unless I start drinking more!

Thanks for the welcome. One thing which did occur to me is that my 10 gallon brew will take a while to drink meaning I'll probably only brew 6 times a year with extra ones for Christmas. I will take me a while to master AG unless I start drinking more!

I sympathise with the feeling of being a bit bamboozled on your first AG brew. I didn't have a clue on my first and only a bit more of an idea on my second, but after that, I just did it all out of my head with no problem. I expect you have a cooler for your ten gallon brews - too big for cooling in the sink. If I had to list one thing I've learned is (for me) essential in making good beer as opposed to 'well - its not bad' kind of beer, it is having an immersion cooler. I would never go back to leaving it 24 hours to cool down. I know other people do it successfully, but I got some astringent brews and now I don't.

Anyway - you'll never look back now.

[FONT=&quot]Hi my name's Steve I'm up in Redcar. I've been brewing kits for about four years and had some great results. I've recently taken the plunge and collected some big stock pots, heating elements, ball valves and tubes to put together an All Grain brewing set up that has a working capacity of about 10 gallon. [/FONT]

I've run it once and found it a bit more complicated and messier than I expected. I'm still waiting to see how that one turns out!

Hi Steve im just up the road in Wynyard welcome to the forum :thumb:

Back