next brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warnie

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm off to Wilkinson's tomorrow to have a look at what they've got and to see what offers they've got. So far as you can see from my sig I've done 4 brews so far but haven't a clue what to do next!

Can anyone offer up any suggestions? Not keen on doing a lager or a stout, but apart from that im easy so to speak!

:cheers:

warnie said:
Hi guys,

I'm off to Wilkinson's tomorrow to have a look at what they've got and to see what offers they've got. So far as you can see from my sig I've done 4 brews so far but haven't a clue what to do next!

Can anyone offer up any suggestions? Not keen on doing a lager or a stout, but apart from that im easy so to speak!

:cheers:
Looking at your sig, anything from the Wilko one can range may be a let down.
Not tried there two can kits so can't comment.

I've got a Wilko Golden Ale 2 can kit in the fv and smells amazing, samples taste nice too if a bit thin, I brew short to 20l and plan to prime with med spray malt/brew kit enhancer. Looking forward to drinking it as it seems to be a nice light ale.

Hainsey said:
I've got a Wilko Golden Ale 2 can kit in the fv and smells amazing, samples taste nice too if a bit thin, I brew short to 20l and plan to prime with med spray malt/brew kit enhancer. Looking forward to drinking it as it seems to be a nice light ale.
Sounds nice, I don't think we have that shop up here, not really anywhere up here to get supplies apart from online.

alawlor66430 said:
Hainsey said:
Sounds nice, I don't think we have that shop up here, not really anywhere up here to get supplies apart from online.

You can order online and I think they will deliver to Lochgelly looking at the delivery info page http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/home-brewing/wilko-golden-ale/invt/0318381?VBMST=golden ale

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/page/deliveries_deliveryoptions

Hainsey said:

I've heard the 2 can kits are on offer and do love a golden ale. What OG did up get short brewing? I ask this as I hear it comes out a bit week 3.8 to 4%. I prefer a slightly stronger beer so may be tempted to add a little DME to it.

I was going to do another Wherry, but mine has just past the 4 week confditoning mark and I am still not overly impressed with it yet. At least not compared to my coopers IPA which has really impressed those that have tried it.

i think they're 15 quid at the moment so pick one of those up! that's a bargain for an all malt kit. not sure if they're any good, but i'm sure you'll enjoy them. maybe you could add honey to the golden ale...

or if you've got a big tesco locally, check them out - plenty of coopers kits in there, and whole range is good.

I would defo add the DME as it coming out dead on 4% will no added fermentables. Unfortunately shop was out of DME the day I bought it.

RobWalker said:
i think they're 15 quid at the moment so pick one of those up! that's a bargain for an all malt kit. not sure if they're any good, but i'm sure you'll enjoy them. maybe you could add honey to the golden ale...

or if you've got a big tesco locally, check them out - plenty of coopers kits in there, and whole range is good.

I'm not sure how much of honey is unfermentable and it might make this kit too sweet as already quite light.

While i'm in wilkco's I'm gonna buy the bungs, airlocks etc to do a turbo cider. Is it right that you can use one of those 5ltr water bottles to ferment in to save buying a couple of dJ's?

warnie said:
While i'm in wilkco's I'm gonna buy the bungs, airlocks etc to do a turbo cider. Is it right that you can use one of those 5ltr water bottles to ferment in to save buying a couple of dJ's?
Yep, just drill a hole in the lid to fit the bung / airlock :thumb:
It goes without sayig but make sure you sterilise it ;)

Hainsey said:
alawlor66430 said:
Hainsey said:

You can order online and I think they will deliver to Lochgelly looking at the delivery info page http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/home-brewing/wilko-golden-ale/invt/0318381?VBMST=golden ale

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/page/deliveries_deliveryoptions
Quality I'll have a look, cheers.

I just placed my first order with them, pretty good value I'd say, well if the beers nice anyway, and only £3.50 delivery, canny go wrong wi that.

joey1002 said:
warnie said:
Yep, just drill a hole in the lid to fit the bung / airlock :thumb:
It goes without sayig but make sure you sterilise it ;)

Brilliant!

Cheers Joey

warnie said:
Do all mine in my beer FVs with no airlock, just brew it out the same as the beers.
Done a Raspberry a Morello Cherry and a Lychee version and all come out crystal clear and arent even suffering any chill haze (unlike my beers).

Ive had a wilko golden ale bottled for a week now. Came out at 4.2% (og.1044-fg.1012) adding 200g of light spray malt. I also dry hopped with 20g cascade and 20g Amarillo . Ive done another on Monday with 250g light spray malt and 100g brewing sugar. Got an og of 1046 which if it gets down to 1010 (fingers crossed) will make 4.8%. If it only gets to 1012 as it did last time then it will be 4.6%. Going to dry hop this one with 40g Citra.

Wilko are also doing 2 can best of british kits for £15 at the moment. Ive had the IPA bottled about a week now at 4.6%. One thing is that it is pretty dark for an IPA but seems nice enough.

Latest posts

Back