Old Speckled Hen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only done OSH, ESB and Fullers London Pride as I really like those, just brewed a London Pride again which I bottled, I've done a few of these and they've turned out good every time. Have a look for Hobgoblin, they do a few different beers which are excellent. The Ruby Red is good

I'll keep an eye open next time I'm at that store. Our local grocery stores don't have anywhere near as good of a selection. At least half is dominated by our crappy American lagers.

I've only done OSH, ESB and Fullers London Pride as I really like those, just brewed a London Pride again which I bottled, I've done a few of these and they've turned out good every time. Have a look for Hobgoblin, they do a few different beers which are excellent. The Ruby Red is good

Did a London Pride a couple of weeks ago. I made it up to 34.8 IBU cuz the first time I did a London pride it was far to sweet. Cracking open a tester bottle tomorow.

Doing a Thwaites Wainwrightes tomorow and Courage Directors (receipe from GW's book) on Friday

Is London's Pride an ESB?

Is there a difference between a British pale and an ESB? I thought I saw somewhere that an ESB was a pale, but a pale wasn't necessarily an ESB.

I like mine above 40 IBU's. I love bitter!

The Samuel Smith India Ale seems to me to be an ESB...

Pride is supposed to be 30 IBU, as an American you'll be used to very high IBU's especially IPA as American IPA's a massively hopped in comparison to ours. English bitter quite often isn't actually that bitter according to the BJCP style guidelines Ordinary bitter should be 25-35 IBU

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style08.php

Did a London Pride a couple of weeks ago. I made it up to 34.8 IBU cuz the first time I did a London pride it was far to sweet. Cracking open a tester bottle tomorow.

Doing a Thwaites Wainwrightes tomorow and Courage Directors (receipe from GW's book) on Friday

Sounds good, I just stick to the recipes in the book. I keep meaning to get a bit more adventurous and make up one of my own just not got around to it

Sounds good, I just stick to the recipes in the book. I keep meaning to get a bit more adventurous and make up one of my own just not got around to it yet

Sounds good, I just stick to the recipes in the book. I keep meaning to get a bit more adventurous and make up one of my own just not got around to it yet

Oops sorry for the multi posts, don't know how to delete with tapatalk

"See above link for the difference between Ordinary, Special/Best and ESB Bitters"

That's where I see no separate British pale ale. I cannot recall where I saw (or think I did) an additional category, and so figured a British fellow would be a good way to get the scoop.

So I'm guessing those are the only types of British pales?

There are 2 typical types of American IPA. The standard and the West coast. I'm not precisely certain, but from testing with hop schedules it seems the standard IPA is more evenly hopped. I.e. 1 oz for bittering 1-2 oz for both flavor and aroma and stick to the limit of 70 IBU's, whereas with the West coast IPA's often greatly reduce the bittering addition, if not do away with it all together, and move in more flavor and aroma hops, and might look more like this:
0-1/2 oz bittering, and 2-4 oz for both flavor and aroma. West coast IPA's tend to not be bitter at all to me, though my pallet is not all that refined.

I just made an IPA in which I evenly hopped at 30, 20, 10, and 5 mins to get an extreme flavor profile, and brought it up to 102 IBU's, though I used about 1/3 top off water which should reduce the IBU's by 1/3 giving me ~67 IBU's. I find it somewhat strange in that it seems as though it needs a bit of bitter though.

There are two types of traditional British pale ales; the bitters (Ordinary, Special/Best, Extra Special Bitter) and India Pale Ale (IPA - once known as East India Pale Ale after the East India Company.

Bitters are known as English Pale Ales

GW's book has a good explanation of how pale ales came about.

I read else where (it doesn't mention this in GW's book) that IPA's high IBU's came about as this helps with preserving the beer on the once long sea journey to India

What I've read by a fellow who went in search for the origins of the IPA is that the IPA was a type of October beer and was highly hopped anyway as it was meant to be stored for some time (2-3 years). The book is:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1938469003/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They found that the voyage helped age the beer faster and so it reduced the aging time. The first "IPA" was made by Hodgson's Bow Brewery. But due to the practices of his as well as the East India Company, others joined in and one of the breweries (Allsop) had a Hodgson's beer handed to a brewer and asked to make something similar. Very interesting read!

Last edited by a moderator:
What I've read by a fellow who went in search for the origins of the IPA is that the IPA was a type of October beer and was highly hopped anyway as it was meant to be stored for some time (2-3 years). The book is:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1938469003/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They found that the voyage helped age the beer faster and so it reduced the aging time. The first "IPA" was made by Hodgson's Bow Brewery. But due to the practices of his as well as the East India Company, others joined in and one of the breweries (Allsop) had a Hodgson's beer handed to a brewer and asked to make something similar. Very interesting read!

Fascinating isn't it.

I seem to be increasingly obsessed with beer. Making it, drinking it, the history of it. I'm up to making two 5L brews per week at the mo and am vaguely planning on doing three. Think I'll just hibernate for the winter, never leave my flat and just brew beer :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm quite fascinated myself! I want to make some very traditional beers, which means mostly non American beers as we just don't have many we can call our own.

It's also interesting seeing the difference between original styles and those the Americans just had to tamper with.

I enjoy creating recipes, some of which are oddball beers that don't really have a style such as a chocolate cream ale.

I've made several 2.5 gal (~10L) test batches of beer, but I feel I'm getting shorted a bit as it's harder for me to get the majority of the beer out due to the shape of those fermentors (like a rugby ball). But then I'm doing nearly the same amount of work and spending the same amount of time but getting less. And it's getting me a little backed up with fermenting and bottling. I'm also struggling to figure out my boil off rate with a smaller volume, as well as lower mash efficiencies.

I typically brew 2-3 5 gal (~20L) batches each month, though one batch me be broken down into two of those 2.5 gal test batches.

It doesn't get cold enough for long enough here to hibernate, and because it's so damn hot and humid through most of the year I like to go camping and such while it's more tolerable. I've bought some dark plastic bottles for bottling camping beer that I can more easily carry in my backpack that won't break!

Had a wee taste of my OSH after the initial ferment and the krausen had dropped. Wasn't impressed to be honest didn't taste like OSH at all. Maybe I hadn't added enough golden syrup (adjusted the receipe for 5L but golden syrup isn't in the drop down list of brewmate so simply divided the receipe amount by 23 and timesed by 5) or maybe it was the yeast that Morland uses and I should have used some nice liquid english ale yeast rather than the cheapo notty yeast I always use. Oh well I thought, I reckon it will still turn out as a nice ESB.

Bottled it this eve and had a sneaky taste when I racked to the bottling bucket. WOW - how things have changed in a week. Still doesn't taste quite like OSH but the golden syrup is really coming through to give a rich caramel taste. Couple of weeks conditioning and I think this is gonna be a knock out!

Had a fella on the other brewing forum I'm a member of tell me it doesn't give a caramel flavor unless you cook the dickens out of it. Guess I'll find out for myself in a month...

Latest posts

Back