Out of condition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rybinss

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi. I have a problem with secondary fermentation. I brewed a pimped Sundew kit using SO5 yeast. I unfortunately left it longer in the FV and when I checked it was reading a SG of 1006. After laboriously cleaning and sterilising 40 bottles I primed with 80g of brewing sugar and have left room temp for a couple of weeks. I opened one last night and flat as next weeks pancake..
The reason the SG is so low was the latter stage of the fermentation I accidently left the heater belt on and the resulting temp was around 24-25 ° for about a week – oops. Luckily no apparent off tastes from my mistake.
Any ideas what my options are 1) leave it a couple of months to see if it miraculously conditions or 2) gently pour the bottles into a pressure barrel and some active yeast and reprime or 3)gently pour the bottles into a pressure barrel and force carb as its being drunk from the keg.
Any ideas?

Hi. I have a problem with secondary fermentation. I brewed a pimped Sundew kit using SO5 yeast. I unfortunately left it longer in the FV and when I checked it was reading a SG of 1006. After laboriously cleaning and sterilising 40 bottles I primed with 80g of brewing sugar and have left room temp for a couple of weeks. I opened one last night and flat as next weeks pancake..
The reason the SG is so low was the latter stage of the fermentation I accidently left the heater belt on and the resulting temp was around 24-25 ° for about a week �" oops. Luckily no apparent off tastes from my mistake.
Any ideas what my options are 1) leave it a couple of months to see if it miraculously conditions or 2) gently pour the bottles into a pressure barrel and some active yeast and reprime or 3)gently pour the bottles into a pressure barrel and force carb as its being drunk from the keg.
Any ideas?

US 05 will easily get down to 1.006, especially in a kit beer, so no worries there. 80g of sugar amongst 40 bottles is not ever going to give a lot of carbonation and you may have either under-estimated how much fizz you are going to get, not left it long enough and warm enough, or just picked out a bottle that got a bit less than its allowance of Two Grams of priming sugar.

I would go for advising Option 1 as it will carry on fermenting almost certainly. Two months in the bottle is not going to harm this 2 can kit and will actually make it a much better drink in the end.

Hi all,

I bottled a sundew kit on 10th jan 17, i opened a bottle on 19th feb, what a lovely crisp beer.
Im going to struggle to keep this till the summer for the bbqs, i might have to get another on fast.
Thanks
Bigd 2657

Hi Thanks for the updates. Did open another bottle and still flat. So follow Slid's advice bung in the cupboard for a couple of months - I have a funky little Simcoe APA ready to bottle so I should have enough beer around for a couple of months. We'll see what happens.

80g of sugar is a bit on the low side for your 40 bottles, So4 is a high floculating yeast so it might just take a little longer to carb up just leave it in a warm place for a few more weeks, it'll be fine.

Back