Outdoor Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdmatthew

Reaction score
Just started brewing with a Friend and while I look for a new house (and in order to stop his Mrs from killing him for brewing indoors at his) we are looking for tips on brewing outdoors or (more than likely because we live in Scotland) in a shed or garage.

We have done one brew, all grain, indoors, and it's currently fermenting in the Garage.

Does anyone have links to decent electric hobs we could use next time? Power source won't be an issue but from what i've read on here already gas would end up expensive/ bothersome.

Safety a big issue too.

Any tips appreciated

:drunk:

I brew outside when the weather is decent and also in a workshop if it's raining or windy.

I use a propane gas burner. Although there is some initial outlay, I thought it was worth it, the burner was £28 from the Malt Millerhttp://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=422

Flo gas was the cheapest I could find for Propane, £31 for 19kg. https://www.flogas.co.uk/prod/19kg-propane-gas plus a deposit for the cylinder. I found out afterwards, if you get a hold of an old cylinder you don't need a deposit.

May seem expensive but you can easily do 50 litre batches on it.

They are for outdoor use only but when I run it in the workshop it's by the open double doors for ventilation.

If you fit forced extraction to a suitable level you can use these burners indoors, it's the same kind of requirement as large scale hotel kitchens etc. Ideally you'd have the extraction linked to the supply of gas to be uber safe.

I've noticed a few YouTube brewers brew outside in a pop up gazebo (in case the inevitable happens even on an apparently clear day). A brewzebo is on my list of kit to buy!

Brewing outside seems to be a good idea to me, especially for using an immersion chiller etc.

I'm lucky to have some old farm buildings tacked on to our house so I brew out there. First ever AG brew I did was in the house, like I used to do my kit brewing, and that's when I found out just how much water is evaporated during the boil, and of course condensed on the nearest cool surface - the entire kitchen was dripping!:lol:
If you're using a gas ring to heat the boiler you need to be out of the wind as otherwise most of the heat will be blown away. Not such a problem with an electric boiler as the heat is generated actually inside the boiler.

Latest posts

Back