peco boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim1699

Reaction score
i am thinking of buying a boiler for my brewing and was looking at the 32l peco anybody got any views or experience with these please

Used mine today for the second time - no issues (though i'll be descaling the element soon just in case - as limescale has been known to cause cutouts)

Used both times as
a) HLT - warming up my sparge water
b) Boiler (first time 60mins, today 75 mins)

Had no problems either time, however it did take a while to bring wort to the boil because it only has one element. No significant issue for me because i spent the time preparing hops and cleaning/clearing up

Edit: I did add a lever ball valve tap before my first brew

I bought the set from homebrewcompany and it has been brilliant so far. If you need a wort chiller, the package that includes the boiler, chiller and an AG kit is just brilliant value (especially with the 5% HBF discount!).

I had been looking at Peco boilers with either the thermostat or full temp control. However, having used my basic one I now can't see the point if having a thermostat control on the boiler. For example, I thought I would want to set the temp to 66c or whatever and maintain this for the mash, but actually with 24 litres or so of liquid, and a duvet (or similar) you will find that the temp doesn't drop much more than 0.5c.

As Callum mentions above, just look out for limescale on the element (depending what your water is like). But a quick clean of the element after each boil is all it needs.

I know I'm a bit late to this one but for anyone else who finds this thread I used to have one too and it lasted a year.

It really did the job and the controller I got with it worked well and I still use it for my stainless steel set up. The reason it broke was because I put on ball valves, and after a while they started to buckle creating leaks.

Would recommend though, peco have good customer service too.

so i finally got to try my new peco boiler today by doing a harvest pale from the greg hughes book only did a 20l brew as i was slightly short in the lager malt all went well will have to get used to controlling the boil as it can be aggresive had a couple of boil overs but that was just me not paying attention but as a was in the garage no worries there other than that all went well and i hit a starting gravity of 1041 instead of 1042 so all is good so far just waiting for the bubbles in the airlock now, always a worring time i find:)

Back