PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First brew in 6 weeks or so!

A Rye IPA for the January swap, copied my recipe from an American website and it had

1kg Rye
3.5kg Pale
200g Carapils
500g Wheat (went a bit off piste and added some wheat as i'd quite like it a little hazy)

For hops and schedule I went a 45 min boil!

25g Simcoe @45
20g Simcoe @15
30g Mosaic @5

Pitched CML 5

Plan to dry hop at high Krausen with the remaining hops (55g Simcoe and 70g Mosaic) to limit any issue with oxygen. OG 1048, one thing i'm kicking myself about is not adding a touch of crystal, I had a bit of a fuzzy head this morning and missed it. 🤣

First brew in 6 weeks or so!

A Rye IPA for the January swap, copied my recipe from an American website and it had

1kg Rye
3.5kg Pale
200g Carapils
500g Wheat (went a bit off piste and added some wheat as i'd quite like it a little hazy)

For hops and schedule I went a 45 min boil!

25g Simcoe @45
20g Simcoe @15
30g Mosaic @5

Pitched CML 5

Plan to dry hop at high Krausen with the remaining hops (55g Simcoe and 70g Mosaic) to limit any issue with oxygen. OG 1048, one thing i'm kicking myself about is not adding a touch of crystal, I had a bit of a fuzzy head this morning and missed it. 🤣
1kg rye? How many boil dry warnings did you get from the Klarstein?

Absolute disaster today....

It all started when I forgot to put the handbrake on and my car rolled down the hill, narrowly missing the greenhouse but totally wiping out my gatepost, and the back of the car... 😩

Onto the brew, I was trying to brew a Soet Beer

Soet Bier, 1683

Unfortunately it just became a thick porridge, a stuck mash? Wouldn't drain through, bleddy heavy I could only drain about 10l worth, sparged as best I could then boiled and then i checked the gravity, 1030, i'm looking for 19l of 1068! I decide to stop messing around and not waste my time, chucked it. First time i've ever done that!

I may go back to this in the future though, I quite liked the taste of the coriander and aniseed, and it smelled great, I might just give the buckwheat a miss and decrease the oats.

Now back to the car....

Absolute disaster today....

It all started when I forgot to put the handbrake on and my car rolled down the hill, narrowly missing the greenhouse but totally wiping out my gatepost, and the back of the car... 😩

Onto the brew, I was trying to brew a Soet Beer

Soet Bier, 1683

Unfortunately it just became a thick porridge, a stuck mash? Wouldn't drain through, bleddy heavy I could only drain about 10l worth, sparged as best I could then boiled and then i checked the gravity, 1030, i'm looking for 19l of 1068! I decide to stop messing around and not waste my time, chucked it. First time i've ever done that!

I may go back to this in the future though, I quite liked the taste of the coriander and aniseed, and it smelled great, I might just give the buckwheat a miss and decrease the oats.

Now back to the car....
Nightmare ☹️

Sorry to hear about both your car and beer dramas mate ☹️

Can't help with the former but on the latter, my initial thought is it's like a strong Belgian Witbier, but using buckwheat (heard of it but don't really know what it is) instead of wheat.

GH uses coriander seed & bitter orange peel in his Wit (Hoegaarden come I think), so maybe not a million miles away, just adding more pilsner make to get the strength up.

I wonder if it would have benefitted from a rest around 50-55ºC - I've often found this helps to stop oats going all sticky, and I'd do this as a matter of course anyway if I'm making a Hefeweizen for example.

(I think I've also read this can help with rye too, but never tried it!)

Sorry to hear about both your car and beer dramas mate ☹️

Can't help with the former but on the latter, my initial thought is it's like a strong Belgian Witbier, but using buckwheat (heard of it but don't really know what it is) instead of wheat.

GH uses coriander seed & bitter orange peel in his Wit (Hoegaarden come I think), so maybe not a million miles away, just adding more pilsner make to get the strength up.

I wonder if it would have benefitted from a rest around 50-55ºC - I've often found this helps to stop oats going all sticky, and I'd do this as a matter of course anyway if I'm making a Hefeweizen for example.

(I think I've also read this can help with rye too, but never tried it!)

Hi matt, whilst looking at the big sticky bag of mush I did regret not doing a rest, I did consider it but alas thought I'd go the easier route and not bother which is a very me thing to do. You're right though, I think it's probably the earlier version of a witbeir. I too have read about it helping with rye, what I did in my recent rye ipa is not pour all the rye in together so it wasn't all in one big blob. I obviously stir anyway but wonder if that might have helped.

So after yesterday's disaster and taking the opportunity to take some time owing I got home early and decided to brew a pseudo lager, this one using Loral hops, not one I've used before but it sounded nice.

4kg Pale
200g caragold
250g carapils

Mashed at 62 for 1 hour.

Brought to boil and hops were

10g challenger +
10g Loral @30
20g Loral @ 15
20g Loral @ 5
60g Loral whirlpool 80c for 20 mins.

Og a little bit down on expected at 1043, IBU 40, pitched cml california common. Hoping this will be my 6 nations sessionable beer.

Bottled my Victory Clone today,

Finished up at 1008 which makes it 6.3% !

One of the best looking beers i've pulled out of the FV, absolutely crystal clear, I can't remember what Victory tastes like so i'm going to have to try and find one in the next few weeks to compare.
Hi, how did this one turn out? Just browsing the Wheeler book for a possible next brew and remembered this was on my list. 👍

The three I have done from the wheeler book have been really good.
Yes, I've so far not had a bad one from his book. Have done TT Landlord and Big Lamp bitter as AG brews. Years ago I also made Brakespear bitter and Boddies using his extract recipies, also very nice brews. Having checked my stock, turns out I'm out of Fuggles so will have to pick another brew 🤔. Fun times🤣

No, I know! Bit of a surprise, and only 130g crystal(for 19l) , I thought i might add a little more, ive got light, medium, dark so might add a touch of dark.

25g Golding and Styrian @60
16g Styrian @10

32 IBU Colour 14! Thats interesting, hadn't noticed that, I might make it a bit darker....
Hi mate, so.....after looking at recipies and deciding I may need some Fuggles, realised I don't actually need any for the Victory Ale 🤦. Just playing with the recipe from my book. Do you have your full recipe you used? Thinking of going for this one tomorrow. At the moment brewfather tells me my IBU is 49 and 32 EBC. Initially it was around 17 but I upped the Choc malt to get it darker. The book bitterness is 32 but I like a more bitter beer so may stick to that level🤣. Cheers.

Hi mate, so.....after looking at recipies and deciding I may need some Fuggles, realised I don't actually need any for the Victory Ale 🤦. Just playing with the recipe from my book. Do you have your full recipe you used? Thinking of going for this one tomorrow. At the moment brewfather tells me my IBU is 49 and 32 EBC. Initially it was around 17 but I upped the Choc malt to get it darker. The book bitterness is 32 but I like a more bitter beer so may stick to that level🤣. Cheers.

Ha! I think I posted it in the what have you brewed today thread but couldn't find it yesterday..... I'll have another look, I'm at work but will also have a look at the recipe from the book as I think I only added a bit of choc for colour, the rest I left the same.

I didn't look very hard yesterday! This was it!

Batemans Victory Clone,

3.8kg pale
150g medium crystal
40g choc
300g sugar

25g of Styrian Golding and Goldings @60

10g goldings @10 with protofloc

OG 1058 so I diluted with 1l to make it 1056, pitched cml 4.

Latest posts

Back