PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been almost 6 weeks since I last brewed, life has been hectic lately!!

Today, despite being lumbered with a friends kids for the day I've managed to get a brew on.

I was going to brew a doppelbock but in the end I fancied something slightly less strong so this is probably more of erm, a bock?

For roughly 18l

5kg Munich
150 carafa 1
150 biscuit

Mashed at 67c for 1 hour, then boiled for an hour, hops are 28g hallertauer @60 and 28g tettnang @20. OG 1053. Its still cooling but once to temp I'm pitching 2 packs cml hell.

Hmm so it's been 4 weeks bar a couple of day cold crash at fermentation temp, went to bottle today and the fg is 1017 which seems high, even being around 2c it would only drop by a couple of points to 1015 ish I reckon. Too high... grrr, I've bottle anyway, I'd already started really. Bugger.

Day off today so I finally decided to brew my first Porter (unless you count Baltic Porter, which i'm not), I found the recipe on the Malt Miller website. Called Rob's Chinook robust porter it has in it...

5kg Pale
600g Wheat
400g Chocolate
400g Special B
400g Carapils

Mashed at 66c for around 2 hours.

Boiled for an hour it had

34g Chinook @60
50g Chinook @5
50g Chinook @flameout

and will have 66g (or thereabouts) Chinook at 3 days dry hop.

I used CML Clipper for yeast.

I thought i'd struggle with efficiency with this one being such a large malt bill, but not a bit of it, I got 1068 for 19l so threw in another litre of water to make it roughly 1065. EBC 64. All being well I should get a beer thats around 6.8% and perfect for chrimbo.

Brewing this one again, though without my scales, hop weights are slightly guestimated! 🤣

I seem to do well with efficiency on this beer, got an og of 1072! Added 1.6l of water to get it down to 1066, 1 point higher than last time. Cooled to 18c and cml clipper added.

Last edited:
Very much a user upper brewed today.

3kg pale malt
1.2kg pilsner
350g carapils

Mashed at 64c for an hour

Boiled for an hour
10g admiral @60
40g hallertau @30
32g hallertau & 30g tettnang @5
30g tettnang whirlpool from 90c down for 20 mins.

Ibu 25 ish

Og 1050

CML 5 yeast

Last edited:
Brewing this one again, though without my scales, hop weights are slightly guestimated! 🤣

I seem to do well with efficiency on this beer, got an og of 1072! Added 1.6l of water to get it down to 1066, 1 point higher than last time. Cooled to 18c and cml clipper added.

Bottled this morning, finished at 1012 making it a potent 7.2% tasted lovely out of the fermenter, definitely a sipper. I'll probably send this to the Scottish Nationals, see if I can retain my crown. 🤣

Question for you @pilgrimhudd - I'm intrigued by your Ernest & Bramling X combo as I've never used either but I noticed you've done it in a pale ale. Can you see it working in a bitter or do think the malt and hops would be out of kilter?

Question for you @pilgrimhudd - I'm intrigued by your Ernest & Bramling X combo as I've never used either but I noticed you've done it in a pale ale. Can you see it working in a bitter or do think the malt and hops would be out of kilter?

I think it would work matt, use a clean fermenting yeast, avoiding too many esters to give the hops a chance. Think it could deal with the malt. A nice bit of challenger to bitter too. đź‘Ť

Last week I was perusing the brewdays thread when I stumbled across @The-Engineer-That-Brews thread and saw that he'd brewed a Common a little back in June and I thought that I fancied a bit of that. Anyway quick purchase from CML and a brew today. Defo one of the things I like about this forum, inspiration when short of ideas.

4Kg Pale Ale
1Kg Vienna
300g Crystal
50g Choc

Mashed for a couple of hours @65c whilst I nipped into Truro, came back and boiled for an hour.

30g Northern Brewer @60
10g Northern Brewer @5
30g Northern Brewer whirlpool @80c for 30 mins or so.

Cooled and pitched CML Common at 24c roughly which is a bit high but it'll drop in the night. OG 1051.

Last edited:
Last week I was perusing the brewdays thread when I stumbled across @The-Engineer-That-Brews thread and saw that he'd brewed a Common a little back in June and I thought that I fancied a bit of that. Anyway quick purchase from CML and a brew today. Defo one of the things I like about this forum, inspiration when short of ideas.

4Kg Pale Ale
1Kg Vienna
300g Crystal
50g Choc

Mashed for a couple of hours @65c whilst I nipped into Truro, came back and boiled for an hour.

30g Northern Brewer @60
10g Northern Brewer @5

Cooled and pitched CML Common at 24c roughly which is a bit high but it'll drop in the night. OG 1051.
You've made one before, and as I recall it was rather good 👍🍻

Hope it turns out well for you - just almost finished drinking mine: it came out a little harsh for my taste, but it was probably pretty authentic athumb..
I'll see if I can squeeze a bottle out of what's left in the keg; if so I'll PM you and send you it for comparison purposes...

Update - on it's way to you :onechug:

Last edited:
Hope it turns out well for you - just almost finished drinking mine: it came out a little harsh for my taste, but it was probably pretty authentic athumb..
I'll see if I can squeeze a bottle out of what's left in the keg; if so I'll PM you and send you it for comparison purposes...

Update - on it's way to you :onechug:

Thank you very much!!

4Kg Pale Ale
1Kg Vienna
300g Crystal
50g Choc

30g Northern Brewer @60
10g Northern Brewer @5

The Cali Common I made a while back is one of my favourites and I've just taken delivery of the malts to make it again only more of it. athumb..

Very much a user upper brewed today.a golden

3kg pale malt
1.2kg pilsner
350g carapils

Mashed at 64c for an hour

Boiled for an hour
10g admiral @60
40g hallertau @30
32g hallertau & 30g tettnang @5
30g tettnang whirlpool from 90c down for 20 mins.

Ibu 25 ish

Og 1050

CML 5 yeast

Finally got round to bottling this one today, finished at 1010, giving it an ABV of 5.2%, crystal clear, looks good, a golden colour, tastes lovely.

4Kg Pale Ale
1Kg Vienna
300g Crystal
50g Choc

30g Northern Brewer @60
10g Northern Brewer @5

Bottled! FG 1008, making it 5.5%, looks and tasted pretty good!

Lesson learned today, always check your yeast before you get the mash on.

Huell Melon and Mandarina Bavaria pale ale brewed. It was going to be single malt, however saw a lonely bag of carapils so thought I'd finish it.

4.7 kg pale malt
300g carapils

Mashed for 2 hours whilst I fixed the greenhouse roof at 66c.

Brought to the boil and added

15g challenger @45
50g huell melon @5
100g manadrina and 50g huell melon whirlpool for 20mins @75

Plan to dry hop 100g mandarina at 10 days maybe.

Thoughts then came to yeast, was going to use two packs of kolsch, oh... none there, damn, its OK, I'll use cml 5, not ideal but there we go. Ahh none of that either, sh*t. So I've got PIA, clipper or an out of date helles.

Chuck out the helles, chuck in the PIA.

OG 1053 so added a litre of water to bring it down to 1049.

Thoughts then came to yeast, was going to use two packs of kolsch, oh... none there, damn, its OK, I'll use cml 5, not ideal but there we go. Ahh none of that either, sh*t. So I've got PIA, clipper or an out of date helles.
I've used dried yeasts that are 7 or 8 years past the use by date stamped on the sachet,for no good reason other than to see if they still work. They do. I've dug liquid yeast Wyeast or White Labs out of the fridge more than 2 years old to see if it would make a starter.Never failed.
Malt goes slack, hops lose their zing, but yeast goes on forever.

The Pia would have been my choice, too, I think.

I've used dried yeasts that are 7 or 8 years past the use by date stamped on the sachet,for no good reason other than to see if they still work. They do. I've dug liquid yeast Wyeast or White Labs out of the fridge more than 2 years old to see if it would make a starter.Never failed.
Malt goes slack, hops lose their zing, but yeast goes on forever.

The Pia would have been my choice, too, I think.

Yeah probably should have kept it but needed two anyway. Do you always do a starter, I guess that would help to get the ball rolling with out of date yeast.

Latest posts

Back