Pimp a MJ American Pale Ale?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyV8

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Going to start my MJ brewers series APA (with the MJ LME pouch too) and was going to brew at the weekend. I Haven’t done this one before. I also have some left over hops to hand (citra, mosaic, cascade and Amarillo) about 50+g of each.
should I try to pimp this kit a little or just leave it alone? I don’t want it too bitter.

Also, was thinking of adding a little bit of wheat DME (like 200g) for extra head retention - is that a good idea or bad?
Cheers!

I last brewing this in Jan 1kg brewing sugar 250g light spray malt with 20g Chinook tea and 30g Mosaic dry hop at cold crash for 3 days. Kegged 1 week warm then back outside for 1 week. Was great for first 2 weeks, really mosaic juicy but lost a lot of that after. First time I've used my keg in a few years though so could be a small leak somewhere. Would've bottled but I just couldn't get the time with four kids at home all the time.

The MJ brewers series are really nice kits, if you are using liquid malt I would just dry hop. They are nice kits on their own. I usually use dry malt and a boil a few litres of water and add maybe 25g of hops at 7 minutes and 1 minute. Those kits aren't bitter anyway

I'm drinking some MJ APA now, and I must say its not my favourite from the MJ range. Im finding it too sweet and malty with very little hop character. Its more of an English Pale ale than American.

My biggest complaint is the low attenuation and the yeast getting disturbed the minute the bottle is poured.
If you intend to bottle I would definately swap the yeast out for some M42 or M44.
I used LME but I suspect this brew would've been improved if i had used plain dextrose instead.

Due to this brews heavy maltiness, pimping with delicate hops may result in their flavours being overwhelmed or lost.

@Didge .... thanks for the tips. Very interesting point on the yeast! Im drinking a Pilsner at the moment where the yeast gets disturbed too when poured and its really annoying, especially after taking the time to do a prolonged crash and fining the beer ! So I’ll definitely swap that out so...

Thanks to everyone else for the tips. I think for now ill keep it simple / will swap out the yeast and do a dry hop only perhaps using the mosaic, but maybe go a little heavier around 50g so that its not overwhelmed.

Thanks again / once again this forum is invaluable!

Latest posts

Back