Pressure Barrel not dispensing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braumeister

Regular.
Reaction score
I’ve just started using a pressure barrel that I got when I started brewing in a starter kit. I never used it as I went straight to bottling then corny kegs. I gave it a go recently with an English ale as thought that would work with warmer flatter beer and it really dispenses amazing pub cask-like beer for me.

However, I get about a pint or so before it stops dispensing. Think initially I left it a couple of days and it would give me another pint. Last night I got a pint and then nothing after that, so only got 2 or 3 pints before it wouldn’t dispense anything.

So went to buy some of those 8g co2 capsules and one of those gave me another 2 or 3 pints then it was nothing again.

Do I likely have a leak or is it normal that these little capsules don’t give many pints? I’m thinking about switching to something I found sold on ebay which allows pressure to be monitored and 16g capsules to be added by control. Anyone use anything like this?

Balliihoo 2 Inch Pressure Barrel Co2 Control Cap - Full System With Co2 Bulbs 5060285280448 | eBay

From a random link on the internet, 1g of CO2 is about half a litre. So you should get 4 litres of of an 8g bulb of CO2. My guess is you have a small leak in your pressure barrel.

I had these every now and again. Check the seals as mine had gunk in it. The rubber can also perish. I was always advised to put Vaseline on the inside o-ring of the cap to get a good seal.

If it is leaking slowly, the original pressure (and the CO2 bulb pressure) will leak out over time. Meaning there is no excess pressure in the barrel. When you draw out a pint, it'll start to form a low pressure in the cask which will prevent more beer coming out. I used to get about 5-10 pints out of my 5 gallon cask before I either had to open the top (which lets air in, so only did this if we were going to finish the cask in a weekend) or add a small CO2 bulb like you did. I normally found 3-4 bulbs would dispense the rest of the cask.

Yeah, I think your barrel has a pressure leak

From a random link on the internet, 1g of CO2 is about half a litre. So you should get 4 litres of of an 8g bulb of CO2. My guess is you have a small leak in your pressure barrel.

I had these every now and again. Check the seals as mine had gunk in it. The rubber can also perish. I was always advised to put Vaseline on the inside o-ring of the cap to get a good seal.

If it is leaking slowly, the original pressure (and the CO2 bulb pressure) will leak out over time. Meaning there is no excess pressure in the barrel. When you draw out a pint, it'll start to form a low pressure in the cask which will prevent more beer coming out. I used to get about 5-10 pints out of my 5 gallon cask before I either had to open the top (which lets air in, so only did this if we were going to finish the cask in a weekend) or add a small CO2 bulb like you did. I normally found 3-4 bulbs would dispense the rest of the cask.

Yeah, I think your barrel has a pressure leak
Yes it’s a bit annoying, I put a load of Vaseline all over the place. Possibly a dodgy rubber seal connection in the cap.

I'd have a look at this thread to get started with.
It's not an uncommon problem and is resolvable.
You do get a good pint from the pressure barrel when it's working right.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...-you-wanted-to-know.89344/page-9#post-1108464
Yeah read that a few times before embarking with this. Shame mine is the cheapo Youngs type. Seems they are poorly made.

In that thread it does suggest using a cap spanner to tighten the lid, which I did not do. Perhaps it isn’t tight enough.

Last edited:
I’ve just started using a pressure barrel that I got when I started brewing in a starter kit. I never used it as I went straight to bottling then corny kegs. I gave it a go recently with an English ale as thought that would work with warmer flatter beer and it really dispenses amazing pub cask-like beer for me.

However, I get about a pint or so before it stops dispensing. Think initially I left it a couple of days and it would give me another pint. Last night I got a pint and then nothing after that, so only got 2 or 3 pints before it wouldn’t dispense anything.

So went to buy some of those 8g co2 capsules and one of those gave me another 2 or 3 pints then it was nothing again.

Do I likely have a leak or is it normal that these little capsules don’t give many pints? I’m thinking about switching to something I found sold on ebay which allows pressure to be monitored and 16g capsules to be added by control. Anyone use anything like this?

Balliihoo 2 Inch Pressure Barrel Co2 Control Cap - Full System With Co2 Bulbs 5060285280448 | eBay
I had similar issues when it first started out brewing and found that if i cracked the seal on the pressure barrel top it resolved the issue. I would then be able to dispense more beer, but after a few more pints I’d have to crack the top again. I went onto corny kegs after that.

I had similar issues when it first started out brewing and found that if i cracked the seal on the pressure barrel top it resolved the issue. I would then be able to dispense more beer, but after a few more pints I’d have to crack the top again. I went onto corny kegs after that.
At yes that would work but that lets air in and I don’t want to do that. The beer wouldn’t last too long that way.

I really tightened the cap right up, by hand, but really tight. I didn’t do that earlier as I was a bit worried about damaging the rubber seal, but I think maybe it wasn’t tight enough. It seems to be holding pressure well now. I put a capsule charge in it last night and it’s still very pressured up with the beer coming out very fast and creating a big head on the beer. Fingers crossed I think it’s all good now.

I really tightened the cap right up, by hand, but really tight. I didn’t do that earlier as I was a bit worried about damaging the rubber seal, but I think maybe it wasn’t tight enough. It seems to be holding pressure well now. I put a capsule charge in it last night and it’s still very pressured up with the beer coming out very fast and creating a big head on the beer. Fingers crossed I think it’s all good now.
Nice one mate. I ditched my barrel and went to Corny Kegs as i can get 2 of them in my fridge, plus i invested in a large bottle of C02 instead of the little capsules and everything is working fine now.

The barrels are a great way to get into brewing but if you’re doing any serious brewing then i would suggest an upgrade. It can be expensive initially but worth it in the long run in my opinion.

Nice one mate. I ditched my barrel and went to Corny Kegs as i can get 2 of them in my fridge, plus i invested in a large bottle of C02 instead of the little capsules and everything is working fine now.

The barrels are a great way to get into brewing but if you’re doing any serious brewing then i would suggest an upgrade. It can be expensive initially but worth it in the long run in my opinion.
Oh yeah I’ve got 2 cornies in a keezer but I like this pressure barrel for “cask ale style” English ales, it just seems more like a proper cask pint than from a keg.

Back