Pumpkin Ale Bottle Swap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dads_Ale

Crafty Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay so said I would swap a bottle of my latest Pumpkin Ale:

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=66376

Only doing a single bottle this time (only have 2 bottles :)).

Looking for an interesting beer to swap. I will pick one at 20:00 on Monday night (assuming I have a few replies :whistle:).

I have the proper packaging so will send mine first then the packaging can be re-used for the return.

:cheers:

I've got a heather brown ale I'm drinking at the moment.

Recipe: Grains - 8Lb pale malt, 10oz dark crystal, 5oz choc malt
Boil: 20g admiral (80min) +100g flowering heather tips. 20g Challenger (0mins) + another 100g heather tips.

As I have 2 bottles (I know I said I would only send out 1 :smile:) I have chosen (:smile:) Cwrw666 and Hoddy.

I will get the bottles in the post Friday or Saturday.

Cwrw666 - I have your address from a previous swap.
Hoddy - Could you pm me your address

Cheers guys, looking forward to trying your beers and hope you like mine :smile:

Wow, glad I just checked to see who won this time - and also glad I haven't quite drunk all the Heather Brown I promised.:lol:
Looking forward to receiving your pumpkin ale. Cheers.

Wow, glad I just checked to see who won this time - and also glad I haven't quite drunk all the Heather Brown I promised.:lol:
Looking forward to receiving your pumpkin ale. Cheers.

I had planned to send out pm's but forgot ...
The bottles went to the post office Saturday so should be with you soon.

Hi Richard, Couldn't resist it any longer and am currently two thirds of the way through it.
Must say I'm enjoying it, but, dangerous stuff as there's very little in the taste to suggest 6.7%!
OK - first impressions, good head, clear but not sparkly clear. In fact about what I usually get. I have a lousy sense of smell so I didn't get much of the spices but on drinking I can detect a slight afterburn from the ginger though if I didn't know the recipe I might have missed the fact that it's spiced at all. Which is good as I live in fear of `Christmas Ales'.
There's a distinct sweetness from the brown sugar and pumpkin (butternut squash really which is a different thing altogether!)but for my own personal taste I'd up the hopping a bit to balance it.
I'm going to hang on to your recipe though and will almost certainly give it a go myself but with more hops.
Sadly I offered a swig to my daughter (she works in a brew-pub so is quite into real ales)
She had a sniff and immediately identified the ginger and cinnamon, and then the nutmeg after a bit of thought.
Unfortunately she then had a taste and said `oh my god that's rank':lol:
So I guess this is one of those brews that you either love or hate.
I'd give it 4.5 out of 5.

pumpkin ale.jpg

Hi Richard, Couldn't resist it any longer and am currently two thirds of the way through it.
Must say I'm enjoying it, but, dangerous stuff as there's very little in the taste to suggest 6.7%!
OK - first impressions, good head, clear but not sparkly clear. In fact about what I usually get. I have a lousy sense of smell so I didn't get much of the spices but on drinking I can detect a slight afterburn from the ginger though if I didn't know the recipe I might have missed the fact that it's spiced at all. Which is good as I live in fear of `Christmas Ales'.
There's a distinct sweetness from the brown sugar and pumpkin (butternut squash really which is a different thing altogether!)but for my own personal taste I'd up the hopping a bit to balance it.
I'm going to hang on to your recipe though and will almost certainly give it a go myself but with more hops.
Sadly I offered a swig to my daughter (she works in a brew-pub so is quite into real ales)
She had a sniff and immediately identified the ginger and cinnamon, and then the nutmeg after a bit of thought.
Unfortunately she then had a taste and said `oh my god that's rank':lol:
So I guess this is one of those brews that you either love or hate.
I'd give it 4.5 out of 5.

Hi John

Glad you liked it. I have it on keg at the moment and it is easy to have a few too many :) :drunk:

I have noticed it seems to be getting sweeter as it matures. As you say it could probably do with a few more hops or a bit less pumpkin (butternut squash). I couldn't get the correct pumpkin in Tesco so a Butternut Squash had to do (the recipe had it as the alternative).

It was my first attempt at using spices and I dropped the amount down as I didn't want them overpowering it. Think they are about right for my taste.

On the whole I am really happy with it and will definitely do it again (just need to find a 'peanut' pumpkin)

Gave Cwrw666's Heather Brown Ale a try last night

IMG_1048.jpg

Poured great with a lovely head and good carbonation.
The smell and taste gave a hint of peat along with a degree of sweetness from the heather and malts. It drank very easily and before I knew it the glass was empty. A very well balanced beer that I would be more than happy to carry on drinking
Cheers :drink:

Back