Question regarding leaving brew in primary longer than is necessary. Also, question regarding bottles & caps.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlindHarper

Reaction score
I have a gallon of apple juice brewing. It will soon (By the look of the bubbling, I'mt thinking 2 days) be ready for racking in to the secondary vessel, where peach puree will be added for an end result of apple & peach cider.

I have ordered an auto-syphon though I do not think that will be here until the end of last week or even possibly later (I'm getting this figure off of eBays estimated arrival date and based on how long parcels have been taking these last 10 days).

As I said, I believe the cider will have finished fermenting within 48 hours. Will I be doing any harm to my cider by leaving it in primary for about a week longer than it really needs?

Also, will this bottle take a metal crown cap? I have two of these bottles and have used them before, quite some time ago, for a very very very low quality fruit cider, which I corked (Using those rather loose synthetic "corks").
I want to know if this bottle is able to take crown caps so I know how many more bottles I need to purchase. Thank you
bottle.jpg

Leaving the cider for a couple weeks won't hurt it. Keep it cool though like 20C.

You cannot put a crown cap on that bottle. Wrong geometry.

Leaving the cider for a couple weeks won't hurt it. Keep it cool though like 20C.

You cannot put a crown cap on that bottle. Wrong geometry.
Thanks mate. I have a load of 20 and 35Cl gin bottles, all empty. If I purchased some appropriate caps would these do the job? Would a new fresh cap with intact seal be good enough for storing carbonated drink?

Don't even try to put a crown cap on that bottle.
Looks like a wine bottle to me.
If that's the case, a) the cap won't fit, and b) it'll probably explode, as wine bottles are not made to take pressure...

Latest posts

Back