Raspberry Everything

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike383838

Reaction score
Right Its brew day for my next instalment, Going for two Ciders, one is a kit with additions and the other is a turbo Cider Iv'e made up, fingers crossed :)

First Brew is a 5 Gallon

1 Tin Brewbuddy Pear Cider Kit £15
750Gm Brewing sugar £1.50
250Gm Cane Sugar £0.25
650ml Malina Rasbery (=442gms Sugar) £2.00
Cider kits own yeast and Nutrient
20Lit Tescos Highland Mineral water = 22lit total, SG = 1046 at 25Deg C (1049 at 20 Deg C) £2.50
Should be 5.2% ABV

Total Cost £20.75 About 50p a Bottle

Next one is 1 Gallon Turbo Cider
4 Litre Tesco Apple Juice (FC) £3.50
220 ml Malina £0.65
100 gms Brewing Sugar £0.20
SG = 1064 at 4.25l 19 deg C 1056 at 4.5 l Should work out 6.1%abv
1/2 pack Youngs cider Yeast £1.25
2 Vit B1 Tabs £0.05
1/2 Tsp Nutrient £0.05
1 lime hand squeezed £0.30

Total price £6 or approx 66p a bottle

My first Cider was so good I thought Id do another with the raspberry.

Ill keep you posted:

They both sounds lovely. Got the stuff for the cider lying around so might stick that on.

Day 2

And I've had to put the 1 Gallon Turbo Cider in the cold cause its going at 1 Bloop a second, (fantastic) fermenting at about 17 Deg C now

The 5 Gallon Pear and Raspberry is off to a start too, its venting a stream of bubbles every 30 seconds. Fermenting at 19 deg C.

Ill post a picture of the TC later. It looks great.

Day 3

Turbo Cider is a jacuzzi this morning and its been out in the cold all night, it must be fermenting at about 14 deg C or less. I think I would need to freeze it to slow it down. I haven't had anything go so fast so cold, if this tastes good it will be a regular for me. Smells OK but not very zesty.

The Kit Pear (raspberry) cider is now venting a stream of about 5 bubbles every 7 seconds so I'm happy with it. This one smells very zesty. At the end of the video below you will see its vent.

Here is a video from last night of the TC. This morning its going even faster.

http://youtu.be/xQgB_OTo1fU

Both sound great.. Im going on the hunt for polish raspberry syrup today.. Hope I find a few bottles

I've got a couple of brews on the go using co-op's apple and raspberry juice. Get a nice discount if you buy 3 at once, it's already got some malic acid in it and no preservatives or anything.

had one batch on the go for a month now, already tastes promising.

I looked at that stuff on-line, it looks like its only 35% real juice and the rest is sugar water. It would be good to hear how that works out as it should be a little insipid unless you mixed it with some 100% juice. Do you still have the carton? what are the ingredients.

Yeah, got it right here ;p

Water, AJ 35%, sugar, Raspberry Puree 5%, Malic Acid, Natural Flavourings (no details though).

Used 4.5 ltrs of that to make it. Topped up with pure AJ at first racking.

it isnt insipid, but definitely tastes a lot more of raspberry than apple, and maybe a tad thin. Also got a batch on the go with 3 ltrs of this juice and rest pure AJ - i think that will probably end with a more rounded flavour but only just started it.

Might work well with something like 3 ltrs of this and rest WGJ. Maybe try that for batch 3 ;p

Cheers

Please post back when you are drinking it, I might try it if you think it works out. I'm surprised its not insipid with so little juice in it. Sounds good though.

Day 4

Still going well but can see the CO2 bubbles getting finer and the rate slightly slower, This might be fermented out quicker than a week, heres hoping. Smells are a bit more yeasty than fruity today.

What would happen if you were to boil that juice drink down? Would it reduce the water content or would it affect the taste?

Puggledprune. I did boil it with some sugar to invert it for a raspberryade 1 month ago and it tasted the same as one I didnt boil, so I guess you could concentrate it a little more, why would you want to do that? :wha:

Day 6

1 gallon still going well with 1 bloop every 3-4 seconds, so slowing down very slightly again. The 5 Gallon is about the same as it was earlier. I expect it will be 12-14 days before the 5 gallon will be finished at this temp.

The 1 Gallon is still a jacuzzi and I find myself going out of my way to just watch it, very orange in colour. Iv lost about 5% to evaporation so far. I'm really looking forward to this one in the bottle, it should be a good one from the smells it is venting.

Day 8

The Turbo Cider fermented out yesterday after 7 days and I have shaken it to degas it to help it clear. It already has started to clear at the top a bit. I will shake again today a few times and then leave it to clear which I'm expecting to take a week, then I will rack prime and bottle. Looks like its gona have an orange tint. Looks great.

The 5Gallon pear and raspberry is slowing down more and I reckon its gona take another few days to finish.

Day 9

Shaking to degas finished now clearing. This is 1/5 cleared over night, and its going from orange to red. Clearing nicely.

Picture this morning:-

TCClearing.jpg

Day 14

Turbo cider has been in the cold for a 5 days, almost clear and compacted sediment.
Racked it with 45gms of sugar in 100ml of water boiled and bottled in 9 X 500ml bottles 4 of them with 1tsp splenda.
Put in a 20 Deg C cupboard and Ill leave them for a few weeks I think.

Need to bottle the 5G but I think Ill do that at the weekend. Need to wash a few more bottles first. I also might rack it to a new 5G FV and leave it. I will decide later.

Hasta

I love the pic of the demijohn, is that the cider? Great colour! That recipe is on the "must try" list for when there's an empty DJ :)

Yes Raspberry Cider, It tasted OK from the bottling, but will be much better with some carbonation and a few weeks to mature. I just had a taste of a fruit teabag wine that was in the DJ for 2 months. It was like a sweet desert wine, so I think I need to watch it in case it starts fermenting again. It was one of my first wines made from fruit juice. Ive learnt alot since then. I think the Girls will love it, very fruity and very nice colour also. And it has a kick. :)

I'll be trying that raspberry cider sometime next month. Sounds amazing! Keep us updated how it tastes after a few weeks in the bottle!

I notice from your recipe you used half the bottle of syrup for a gallon of cider, do you think there's much flavour in the finished brew? I'm just about to start a two-gallon batch but not sure whether to use two bottles of syrup or just the one...

I'm loving teabag wines too - such an easy, cheap way of making crazy flavoured wines and there's plenty of variation to try!

Gayle said:
I notice from your recipe you used half the bottle of syrup for a gallon of cider, do you think there's much flavour in the finished brew? I'm just about to start a two-gallon batch but not sure whether to use two bottles of syrup or just the one...

I'm loving teabag wines too - such an easy, cheap way of making crazy flavoured wines and there's plenty of variation to try!

Have't tasted yet, but I just wanted to give it a raspberry kick, I will test it and if its not enough I will def use more next time.

Ill keep you posted.

Latest posts

Back