Raspberryade

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tested mine as it has stopped bubbling over the past couple of days.

Tastes a little dry but not too bad, a little sweetener should sort that. Took a gravity reading. Looks like its brewed to 8.5%.

Going to rack today then bottle tonight.

Next up, mincemeat brew!

Ok so I opened a bottle of this the other day & the batch ive done is not very nice at all... In fact its awful.. Very disappointed.. I cant see it improving wity age but im gonna give it a try

Might have a funny smell if u used brown sugar or I've found using an ale yeast sometimes smell but if left to age a little longer smell totally goes
But normally mine don't ever have a smell well nothing apart from raspberry

Mine has just finished, so hopefully will improve a bit. at the moment is a bit too acid tasting with a very strong artifical-raspberry-e-number finish. Will this "artificial" taste become a bit more subtle with age or is it just the way it is?

Cracked mine open tonight. Wow! Like a fizzy raspberry rosé. Will defo do some more of this in the new year.

after trying 4 different shops to get this stuff i managed to get the raspberry and blackcurrant flavours today to start off and also it was nice to know english people arent served in polish shops round here.

Tesco price on these Juices is £1.00 today.

In our big Tescos in Cheltenham they have Raspberry, Raspberry and lime, Raspberry and lemon and Blackcurrant.
Usual place bottom shelf in the Polish food section.

I think its one of thse brands like Maggi that is massive in other places but then is bought out by Nestle and brought to the UK but is still marketed as being "foreign"
That or maybe because this stuff tastes so good on icecream a bottle doesnt last long enought to be made into homebrew before its eaten up!

My pre-christmas batch is now very drinkable!! Will definatly be making more of this. Best description i can give is a sparkling raspberry rose mmmmm.

What do you think made it smell? Maybe it was the type of yeast you used?
Normal I use wine yeast for this and never had any problems.

Well glad it turned out nice in the end, I've never had any bottles left that long it's good to hear it keeps its flavour and thanks for your feedback!

second2none said:
What do you think made it smell? Maybe it was the type of yeast you used?
Normal I use wine yeast for this and never had any problems.

Well glad it turned out nice in the end, I've never had any bottles left that long it's good to hear it keeps its flavour and thanks for your feedback!

I used the cheap wine yeast from wilko's. The syrup was raspberry and lemon and I added citric acid so maybe it was too much with the lemon flavour already

20130422_174544_zps731e1ed6.jpg
[/url][/img]

Put a Dj on of this yesterday and came home from work to find this.

It seems to have emptied my airlock. I took the airlock out and rinsed it but in my haste to plug the hole i shoved the airlock back on and didn't even think about sterilising it.

It is now bubbling away quite merrily with no sign of any more foam coming out

Just a bit worried now

Will the foam have been contaminated in any way as it worked its way out through the airlock?

Will me not sterilising the airlock probably have killed this off?

This does happen from time to time but don't fear you should be ok,
The goo was made from the c02 escaping the Demi john and this is heavier than the surrounding air so it sits on top of ur brew like a nice protective blanket so no nasties would have gone in during the brife time it was unbunged, as for only rinsing ur airlock I wouldn't have though twice about that an wouldn't have sterilised it half way throu anyway!

It wouldn't be worth pouring this away coz of this slight booboo
The only containinated foam will be on the outside of the demijohn
Ur lovely brew is safe inside!

Keep your eyes on it for big floating lumps
Or a vile smell when bottling (not just yeastie egginess)

The biggest thing I worry about when this happens is my misses complaining about the mess!

Thanks mate, my mind is at rest.

I did put it on a tray as i slightly over filled it so luckily no mess as such.

I have also just started your alko coke recipe, that is chugging along like a steam train.

Next up is your simple tropical punch.

If i were you i would start charging a fee :cheers:

How long will this take to clear roughly?

I think it has finished fermenting as i am getting no airlock activity but i stupidly made this is in a brown demijon so have no idea what it looks like.

I have no clear ones to rack it into

Or should i just bottle it now and let it clear in the bottles?

If its stopped bubbling I usually leave it a day or so till I can be bothered
But u will find with this type of brew that as soon as the co2 bubbles settle down and stop pushing the yeast around it is clear and ready to bottle!

I have a clear plastic straw that I pop into my brown demi and put my finger over the top end and when u pull it out keeping my finger over, it gives u a snapshot of how the brews doing in terms or colour and clarity, saves disrupting the brew too much and is faster and cleaner than syphoning a trial jar off!

Thanks for ur positive comments!
Hope you enjoy your raspberryade!!

Oh my what a mess!! Haha never had any of mine fizzy up like that normally only happens when u add fruit juice!! What do u think caused it??

Just sat for the last hour reading this thread, a great insight to brewing, will be nipping to asda for some tomorrow as checked online at 98p

Assuming the same thing happened to your WOW that happened to my current batch of TC, the yeast just got a little enthusiastic and produced a thick foamy head, which has left a load of scum around the neck of the DJ. In my case, it was all around the neck, down the sides and across the counter :rofl:

The WOW itself should be fine.

Latest posts

Back