Razorback IPA: bottling vs pressure barrel?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My next kit is Festival Razorback IPA, and I'm wondering how best to package it, when the time comes. I have a spare King Keg pressure barrel and I also have plenty of swing-top bottles available. Forgetting about the (in)convenience of one method over another, do people have opinions on how this IPA will 'perform' in bottle vs keg? I guess it will last longer in bottle, but will the flavour develop differently? Are there benefits of using the PB apart from convenience? Thanks for any views.

It's a popular kit, so I'm sure you'll other views, but my experience was that I had two different, but equally good flavours barrel vs bottle.

I made this as per the instructions, so added the hops to the wort un-bagged, which was a mistake. Even with a bag over the syphon tube it took a long while and several goes at clearing the hoppy mush off the bag to syphon it out of the primary - so I feared I'd got too much oxygen into a potentially sensitive brew.

I put 4l into bottles, and the rest into a barrel. The barrelled ones had a lovely tangy nectarine flavour, and the bottled ones (opened later) more of a citrus taste. I think the difference may be down to dissolved CO2 in the bottles adding a carbonic acid taste to the fruitiness, though it may also have been an age thing - the last from the barrel was consumed just over 12 weeks from transferring it, and the bottles a few weeks after that.

I've got another in the bucket at the moment to be barrelled on Thursday, but stuck the hops in a bag this time!

Thanks @YC, that’s useful, and a good tip re hopping. I’ll probably PB it. If it’s as good as everyone says, no doubt I’ll have a future opportunity to try it in bottles.

I always bottle IPAs as they need a bit of carbonation and also benefit from a bit of cooling in the fridge.

Pressure barrels are better for real ale type brews where you don't want a lot of carbonation.

I always bottle IPAs as they need a bit of carbonation and also benefit from a bit of cooling in the fridge.

Pressure barrels are better for real ale type brews where you don't want a lot of carbonation.

The carbonation was really what I was getting at with my original question.

I'd second the 'do both' suggestion and see which you prefer. I thought the flavour was significantly different with the two approaches, and personally preferred the flavour in the barrel. There are quite a few citrus-forward IPAs (bottled flavour), but this was the only nectarine flavour (barrel) kit that I've found.
I'll still stick a few litres in bottles though I try to keep 3 barrels on tap, it's nice to have the variety of a few bottles as well.

I'd second the 'do both' suggestion and see which you prefer. I thought the flavour was significantly different with the two approaches, and personally preferred the flavour in the barrel. There are quite a few citrus-forward IPAs (bottled flavour), but this was the only nectarine flavour (barrel) kit that I've found.
I'll still stick a few litres in bottles though I try to keep 3 barrels on tap, it's nice to have the variety of a few bottles as well.
Good advice, thanks. I'll do that.

One more thought - as I've just been reminded as it's barrelling day (dry hops have been in 5 days)...
I pretty much always follow the 2+2+2 timing, so added the hops on day 9, so as to bottle today on day 14 with 5 days dry-hopping. Only to find the gravity is at 1.009 as opposed to 1.005 which is supposed to be the final gravity. Looking at my spreadsheet I had exactly the same last time, and intended to let this one get to around 1.005 before adding the hops. But forgot...

The last one turned out fine, so I guess it just carried on fermenting in the barrel/bottles, and the PET bottles I used weren't particularly over-carbed, so I'll crack on and barrel/bottle. But you may wish to let the gravity get closer to final before hopping, as this one seems to take a bit longer than claimed to finish, despite being kept at a steady 22C.

Latest posts

Back