Recommend me an electric boiler.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slate Miner

Reaction score
As per the title, I'd be grateful for some advice on what type of boiler I need for extract brewing. :hmm:

Since Xmas I have brewed several 2 can kits and the Better Brew range. So far so good. :cheers:

I think going to extract is the right way forward for me and therefore I'm wondering about an elctric boiler that would serve my purpose. Our current stove/cooker is not really suitable for a large pan and SWMBO isn't too keen on the idea either! :nono: :rofl: I'm not too hot on the DIY, so I'm prepared to stump up some cash for a ready made boiler. :whistle:

Fortunately we have a small downstairs utility room which has an electric and water supply, so I can setup in there. :thumb:

I found this boiler on-line http://www.hamstead-brewing-centre.co.uk/itm01593.htm any thoughts? would this do the job? is a hop strainer essential? any other recommendations would be appreciated. :thumb: :cheers:

I had one of those it worked ok tbh my only concern was if your doing a 23L brew there's not much head space in the boiler so it's easy to get a boil over I upgraded and only used it as a hlt and bought a 60L fv for my boiler making one as straightforward even I could do it I'd build my own As for the hop filter yes you will need one otherwise your tap will block

Personally I'd go to the likes of the copper kettle and get one of their 60L buckets, If you ask nice they'll cut the holes for the elements (which they also sell) and the tap (ditto) so all you have to do is screw it together and plug it in.
Honestly, the path to the darkside is addictive, extract is ok, but soon you'll be looking at AG, on the road to AG is biab (which is AG in a single vessel) Once that happens, you'll kick yourself for not buying a boiler that was big enough the first time around. The difference in size between 30L and 60L is obvious, what is less obvious is the price difference.... about 15 to 30 quid depending on where you buy your elements. May aswell do it once and know that there isn't a need to change it in a few months... Which is what I now have to do as my boiler isn't big enough :(

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. :thumb:

Appears that the general feeling is that I should look at getting a 60lt boiler....... :hmm: :cheers:

I would defiantly if your not to hot with DIY speak to rob at hamstead they will do you a 60L one but I still think you can make one at half the price there's plenty of how to's on here

Back