Reflections - how do we all keep fit ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I average between 12k and 15k in steps at work over 4 12hr shifts which is between 5.5/7.0 miles a day and a few hours walking when I can on my days off.
Still managing a 32" waist though times it feels tight so a change of diet at work helps though for £2.50 a full fry with chips at times is hard to pass at times never mind cream buns then homebrew so only drink a few bottles two or three nights at most and certainly not on a school day....

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

My lad keeps me fairly active as he's always on the go being only 1 half years old
Apart from that I try to eat well (mostly in the week) and keep my drinking till the weekend
Luckily my job is fairly physical so this keeps the double chin to one fold

After my two kids came along I didn't have a lot of time for the form of exercise I most enjoyed which is cycling. Wasn't doing much at all and then about three years ago got diagnosed with Sarcoidosis (Google it) in my lymph glands and lungs after getting a persistent cough, got put on steroids to treat it and really piled on the weight. I peaked around 17st4 and had to buy 40" waist jeans (I'm 6ft3 for perspective).

Decided I needed to do something so despite the fact I'd never got on with it in the past I decided to take up running just under two years ago. Did the Couch to 5k program and then stuck with it doing three 30 minute runs a week, completed my first 10k event in September last year and have done several more since then, now trying to convince myself to do a half marathon. I now run for 30 minutes two evenings during the week and also run down to my local Parkrun and back on a Saturday morning as well as doing the Parkrun itself totalling around 11k. Will be doing more 10k events too. Beer tastes even better the evening after a long run!

Now 14st11 so lost 2.5 stone and can squeeze into 36" jeans. Hope to lose more. Also off the steroids but unsure if the Sarcoid has completely gone.

up hill both ways...... luxury.....
I had to cycle inside out and everytime the front wheel turned round I was sliced into meaty chunks...

You had a front wheel to slice you into meaty chunks?......luxury.........

I had to use a wooden spoon to slice myself into meaty chunks, and borrow it at that. I was too poor to afford me own

Well I used to cycle about 100 miles per week but prostatitis put a stop to that.
I also used to do Morris dancing and long hill walks, but totally wrecked knees and ankles has put a stop to that as well.
Still recovering from my heart attack.
Think I'll have another pint - at least my right arm is still getting some exercise...

Well I used to cycle about 100 miles per week but prostatitis put a stop to that.
I also used to do Morris dancing and long hill walks, but totally wrecked knees and ankles has put a stop to that as well.
Think I'll have another pint - at least my right arm is still getting some exercise...

Morris Dancing needs to carry a health warning !

I’d say don’t worry about the right arm , there is always straws but I suspect by 2020 they’ll be completely banned !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need a recumbent - If you can sit in a chair comfortably, you can ride a 'bent

Now 14st11 so lost 2.5 stone and can squeeze into 36" jeans. Hope to lose more. Also off the steroids but unsure if the Sarcoid has completely gone.

Great Effort !
I was looking for a similar couch to 5k thing for biking as only been making the effort for a few weeks and it’s a good motivator .

Plus all the fire burning curries Gunge ! That’s got to be giving you an immune system like a Ninja [emoji106]

I had a really hot curry once... Next day I had the burns and told the wife...
She said 'ringsting'?

I said 'how the hell is he going to help'?

Sent from my Kitchen Tap Room

Used to cycle to work until distance and timing became an issue with a new job, so after a couple of years of a fairly sedentary life style I challenged myself with some running this year.

Started the Couch to 5K program in January and now run a minimum of 17K a week, working towards 10K now.

Still a bit of a lard ass weight wise but much better than I was and a hell of a lot fitter.

Occasionally I still get an opportunity to get out on the bike for a ride.

I did pretty much nothing physical my whole life until recently when I took up some strength training. I was always the tall skinny one, but I've put on almost 3st and currently my squat is 5 x 120kg and still going up. It's fantastic when you can actually see the results of your efforts, and when others notice too.

You had a front wheel to slice you into meaty chunks?......luxury.........

I had to use a wooden spoon to slice myself into meaty chunks, and borrow it at that. I was too poor to afford me own

Well, when I say I had a wheel..... it was my leg that had been beaten into a wheel shape by my father who soundly killed me every evening with ..........
cant stop laughing :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:

I've actually just started resistance training 3 times a week and I walk the dog. Going to add some running to the mix with the dog now too though.

Does the dog know it's going running? I hope it's not a daschund :laugh8:
Oh, it's a dachshund alright. Standard size. He generally is ahead of me in walk anyways, and I don't plan on being that fast yet.

Oh, it's a dachshund alright. Standard size. He generally is ahead of me in walk anyways, and I don't plan on being that fast yet.

Daschund's have never really struck me as being built for speed. Either he's some sort of micro-whippet or you need a bit more practice at running :laugh8:

Back