Renting a grainfather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KegThat

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all... testing the water with something here!

Just wondering if there would be any interest in renting a grainfather..

Initial idea is £50 for a week, this would include free delivery and collection provided the kit was left clean and tidy.

What are thoughts on this?

I think this would be a good idea for anyone thinking of buying an all in one and wanting to try first but i see a few pitfalls -

How are you going to sort out things like -

The delivery service damaging it.

The member damaging it.

It breaks during a brew leaving you and the member out of pocket.

Thanks for the feedback, having a few ideas on some of these! Despite these concerns it definitely looks possible!!

Hi Ben,

I think this is an interesting marketing idea, but the logistics of the arrangement may make it slightly impractical, as Chippy says.
The distance from the Wirral to anywhere further than Liverpool means that you can never regard the hire machine and the whole idea as anything but an extended advert for the product.
If you think the exposure on here is maybe worth a punt, good for you and best wishes, but that's all it really is, just a punt.

Hi Ben,

I think this is an interesting marketing idea, but the logistics of the arrangement may make it slightly impractical, as Chippy says.
The distance from the Wirral to anywhere further than Liverpool means that you can never regard the hire machine and the whole idea as anything but an extended advert for the product.
If you think the exposure on here is maybe worth a punt, good for you and best wishes, but that's all it really is, just a punt.

Hi :)

I can have it shipped and collected via our ups account for around £10 including insurance. Was also thinking of a small deposit to ensure the product is properly cleaned and kept in good nick.

Do you think this would appeal to a national audience considering this? Was also aware of the opportunity to spin up some business on the ingredients too!!

I can have it shipped and collected via our ups account for around £10 including insurance. Was also thinking of a small deposit to ensure the product is properly cleaned and kept in good nick.

Do you think this would appeal to a national audience considering this? Was also aware of the opportunity to spin up some business on the ingredients too!!
Wow! £10 to deliver and collect! That changes my perspective all right.
Writing as someone who has worked a fair bit in retail in the past, perhaps JFDI for a few turns around the block and see what occurs?

£10...deliver and collect...that adds fuel to the "postage rip off" thread ...
Plus...I don't think you could meet demand on this even it was partly successful...like going to a national branch of a hire shop,they have enough kit to get a sale.

£10...deliver and collect...that adds fuel to the "postage rip off" thread ...
Plus...I don't think you could meet demand on this even it was partly successful...like going to a national branch of a hire shop,they have enough kit to get a sale.
Sorry I meant this would be included free, but could even come down to £40 if this was needed! But I get it thanks for the feedback cheers

Check the insurance. My wife previously had a furniture business and she would supply hotels etc. During the initial growth stage so used a few couriers, all of which had their insurance policies, not worth the money, they hardly cover anything and have too many clauses.

Needless to say she had a few issues with damages, after the first claim they refused to pay out. We had a solicitor friend look over the terms and agreed it was worthless. We tried our luck with a complaint and it was refused although the policy was reworded to clearly state that furniture was no longer covered

I’ve been looking for something like this .

Wanting to eventually buy a Grainfather but would rather test it out before purchase. Searched everywhere and can’t seem to find anyone offering this .

Apart from brewdays at malt miller , but it’s not the same as brewing at home .

I’ve been looking for something like this .

Wanting to eventually buy a Grainfather but would rather test it out before purchase. Searched everywhere and can’t seem to find anyone offering this .

Where do you live? There might be someone local prepared to bring their kit to your house and spend a day brewing with you.

Its not the same but you will at least get to see how the kit works also the Grainfather used to be the machine of choice as there weren't many systems around when it came out there are now lots and most are a lot cheaper than the GF but do the same job so unless you are set on a GF have a look at the other versions.

Back