Rugby World Cup 2023

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Italy have won one game in the last 8 years and shipped 96 points against NZ. I just don't see the improvement.

Well, I think it unlikely we're going to agree on this topic 😄

Looking at the results is one thing, watching the play is another. There are also other factors to consider; whilst Italy try to improve the other teams do not stand still, they are also constantly striving to improve their play. Italy used to only have 50 minutes of rugby in them and then collapse at the end of the game; that problem is largely resolved. Entering the group stage of this World Cup, there are realistically two games for Italy to win, and two against likely finalists of the tournament. Italy have won both "winnable" games for them at this stage of their journey.

Getting destroyed by the All Blacks was a disaster, and there could be another big blow for them against France tomorrow night with France having a fantastic squad. But then it's also worth noting that it took France a good amount of time to win their first 5 nations match when they joined the tournament too, and the persistence paid off 😊

It'd be nice to see Italy learn something from the All Blacks game, and come out with a more realistic approach against France, but it's hard to envisage any score that isn't still a France win by a large margin.

In any case, I'm looking forward to the knockout stages without Italy but happily with a good stash of homebrew. Cheers!😊👍

I'm out of town but just caught the England Samoa result. Wow a close game. Anyway, poor coverage but this is my view this morning...
20231007_182812_copy_574x1020.jpg

So quarters nearly all locked in (Fiji playing Portugal now, 3-3 at HT).

Wales v Argentina
Ireland v NZ
England v Fiji (or Australia)?
France v South Africa

Oh wow, Portugal ahead. Australia will be cheering them on...

And Portugal win 24-23. Wouldn't have picked that.
Fiji still go through by getting a bonus point. Finished on same points as Australia but ranked ahead as they beat them in their pool match...

Last edited:
First time ever we have had all four pools topped by NH teams. Potentially a possible first NH Semi final lock out as they all go into the Semis as favourites. Although i do not find that likley

I think one of SA or NZ will win and Fiji I think will beat England despite their Portugal result.

I think the Semis will be

SA vs Fiji
Wales vs Ireland

Ireland SA final and Ireland winning it

Will be like a home game for Ireland with their tremendous support. So much green in the crowd v Scotland...

And we're under way, momentum swinging both ways in Wales v Argentina. 5 points in it with 20 to go.

Beautiful stadium.

Oh that's interesting, head contact in tackle but no card.

2 point lead to Argentina with 4 to go, Wales scrum feed.

INTERCEPT Argentina try and they're through to the semis...

13 nil to NZ 20 mins in. Intense game...

13-10 5 mins later.

Last edited:
What. A. Finish.
So tense. A penalty try and 2 Yellows against NZ that they overcame to hold out a tireless Ireland attack. 28 - 24 and Ireland still have never progressed past the quarters...

Holding out the No 1 side will upset a few people's picks.

Just caught up with both games, Ireland shouldn't have let a nervy NZ get points ahead in the early part of the game, couldn't get it back. Wales, well, after a half decent world cup so far maybe should have gone through but have had a turd year, Argentina no mugs. Gutted for Ireland, but just didn't start well.

Latest posts

Back