Russian imperial stout stopped...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailey

Reaction score
Hi again, another stuck fermentation although this time not that surprising i suppose....
This is the recipe

Original Gravity (OG): 1.120 (°P): 28.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.024 (°P): 6.1
Alcohol (ABV): 12.52 %
Colour (SRM): 73.1 (EBC): 144.0
Bitterness (IBU): 114.1 (Average)

38% Maris Otter Malt
30% Pilsner
8% Brown Sugar, Dark
5% Vienna
4% Roasted Barley
3% Amber Malt
3% Flaked Barley
2% Carafa III malt
2% Chocolate, Pale
2% Crystal 120
2% Rye Malt
1% Black Malt

3.2 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
2.8 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
4.2 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with WLP530 - Abbey Ale x1

Notes: 300g amber sugar crystals
400g barbados cooks sugar

Recipe Generated with BrewMate[/b

Brewmate says its currently at 11.5% needs to get to 12.5%. Has been in primary for over 5 weeks and stuck for 2. Roused and warmed up etc. to no avail. Yeast was wlp 530 in big starter.
Any ideas please??? :wha: :wha:

What is the actual gravity you mashed at 67 which may be the cause. I did a 9% barley wine and mashed lower at 65c on alemans recommendation to lower the non fermentables. These beers usually take a long time I would leave it, it's not going anywhere and that abv its unlikely to pick up an infection. I take it you are going to age it in bulk for a year or so?

:thumb:

Hello again Grays, thanks for your reply.Actual gravity is 1.032 Mashed at 66 degrees so maybe thats it. Do you think I should transfer to secondary or leave it??
Its surprisingly smooth but very warming. Also how am i going to get any fizz in this f##ker?? How long would you leave it and how would you prime.
I Was planning to brett this do you think that might drop a few more point???
Thanks again

The expert on this is Aleman. Usuall this type of beer takes years to mature. My barley wine was matured in secondary for 10 weeks and bottled but even after 4 months showed little sign of carbonation. Give aleman a pm.
:thumb:

If you give it some Brett you will also do well to add some oxygen, this can. E done by dropping it into secondary. The Brett will take it down to 1010-1008 ish but will take a while. If you do, keep 5 litres or so of the original in a demijohn so you can see exactly what is does to the flavour, it's incredible.

Rob

Back