safety thermostat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattlill

Reaction score
Hi! My son and I bought a 60 liter brewer. It is a Royale but looking at the net it is the same as other brands, for example Brew Devil, Burco. We decided to first boil some water to disinfect and then the brewer cut off before the water boiled. No light in the panel. Nothing. It is dead. Looking at the manual it suggests "Replace safety thermostat (protecting against overheating)" First, we cannot find this safety thermostat. I think maybe we may to take the cover off to expose the electrics and then which one is it, and does replacing thermostat mean to put a new thermostat in or does it mean to just push a reset button. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

It is a Royale. We have looked and looked and there is no reset button. Previously we had a 20 liter boiler which had a reset button underneath, unless I'm missing something in my search for the reset button. Thanks for your reply!

If it's new then speak to the supplier.
[Edit]
As @Twostage asked, what wattage is? I'm wondering if it is too highly rated for the socket you had it plugged in to. Have you tripped something in the house electrics?

3000 watts. House electronics are fine, but next time we will try another socket. But first have to get it working. I will contact the supplier. Thanks!

I'm wondering if it is too highly rated for the socket you had it plugged in to. Have you tripped something in the house electrics?

Did it trip a breaker. If no, not that.

Check the fuse.if no...

Take the bottom round plate off and look along the wires for a thing the size a big paracetamol tablet. Take a photo and post it here.

Last edited:
Did it trip a breaker. If no, not that.

Check the fuse.if no...

Take the bottom round plate off and look along the wires for a thing the size a big paracetamol tablet. Take a photo and post it here.
Thanks! Will send a photo when I meet up with my son.

It won't be a problem with the house electrics.
I'm sure you checked by the way, but it isn't as simple as the mains plug having been fitted with an inappropriately low rating of fuse, is it? (needs to be 13A)

The safety thermostat or 'thermal cutout' is a mechanical switch that "trips" when the element gets too hot. There's usually a way to reset it - most often in the form of a plastic rod sticking out on the underside of the boiler, or sometimes a hole that you can shove something into (although I'd be cautious about doing that without checking what's inside first).

The most common cause of the thermal trip going is if the heating element is accidentally switched on without the boiler having water in it... e.g. (ahem... obviously I've never done that).

HOWEVER in a new unit especially as you said you had water in it, it sounds more like the element is not properly bonded to the bottom of the tank.

I'd definitely talk to the supplier as it's probably faulty.

HI! Here is an update. I contacted the seller and they agreed the brewer is faulty and yesterday we returned the brewer to Germany. I did get permission to open the cover at the bottom to find if it has any reset button and no it doesn't. Did notice that there were what I think were 2 fuses soldered to the circuit board and with a voltmeter, one fuse was fine and the other was not working, if they were fuses. Lets hope the next one works better. Thanks for all your assistance!

Attachments

• brewer.jpg
    brewer.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 0
Sorry for the so great quality pic that I took before we sent it back. I assumed that the fuses are marked fu1 and fu2 and I don't think there is a reset button anywhere.

Back