Scottish Group Grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just throwing this question out there to see what the response is .
With the cost of grain increasing and recipe kit prices going up are there enough people interested in setting up a Group Grain Buy from the Scottish Central Belt ? I dont know the logistics involved etc but I am sure we can get help from the groups on this forum .

Come on you chaps we know postage is a issue up there it would be a fantastic idea if you could manage to get it going acheers. :beer1:🎅

Yeah I think I'd be up for it, depending on whether or not I can order crushed grain. I dont have a mill, and tbh don't really intend to do business that way, but for maybe one or two orders a year I'd certainly take a sack of crushed grain.

I normally buy grain in with other orders so generally don't pay an awful lot for postage, either that or collect from the farm at the Crafty Maltsters. First time I picked up a couple of 25kg sacks, it was on the way back from a meeting with Scottish Government in Edinburgh. I was in a black skirt suit and heels and he did the look down and up, and said 'Are you sure?' 😆. I've since done the trip in jeans and trainers though, and I'm planning a trip over in the next few weeks to collect some heritage grain for experimenting with. I'd be up for other malts though if ordering in bulk came with a discount 😀

Just throwing this question out there to see what the response is .
With the cost of grain increasing and recipe kit prices going up are there enough people interested in setting up a Group Grain Buy from the Scottish Central Belt ? I dont know the logistics involved etc but I am sure we can get help from the groups on this forum .
Interested, lets see how the thread goes.
Not sure how many brewers there are in the central belt tho.

By the look of the replies there are not enough people in Central Scotland to make it possible to by the bulk order that would be needed. Will occasionally bump this thread to see if it changes
I checked my own stock and have a couple of months left .

I've no idea if it will come to anything but the Crisp Alloa maltings are just up the road from here and they've recently built a new packaging plant. I emailed their office to ask what their minimum order of 25kg bags were, no answer yet, and if they don't reply I might just go and knock on the door 😄.

Due to the high price of 25kg of MO or other base grains being delivered, I'm going back to Craftymaltsters grain - picking up 25kg of Pops pale and Lager malt from Demperston farm tomorrow morning. For anyone interested in buying malt from them they now do 12.5kg bags, and crushed or whole to be collected and are a good £15 a kg cheaper than MO delivered.

Crisp malts got back to me to say that as a home brewer I wasn't permitted to pick up the malt from Alloa just up the road. I've replied asking if it was possible if it was a group buy, and if it was possible if I registered as a limited company. I'll update if I hear back.

That’s a shame about Crisp but I could understand if they have no customer reception etc. For reference I asked Warminster malting which is near me if I could collect single bags and they are happy but at £42 it won’t make any cheapest lists. Freshness is worth something though so I may still.

You can count me in if there's any future group buys. I've just picked up pale ale and lager malt from Crafty Maltsters in Auchtermuchty today and it does seem reasonable at around £28 per 25kg collected. It's freshly crushed and smells good too. Some other interesting heritage grains to try in the future also.

Attachments

• IMG_20230608_141421479.jpg
    IMG_20230608_141421479.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
You can count me in if there's any future group buys. I've just picked up pale ale and lager malt from Crafty Maltsters in Auchtermuchty today and it does seem reasonable at around £28 per 25kg collected. It's freshly crushed and smells good too. Some other interesting heritage grains to try in the future also.
The Heritage grains were saying out of stock online 😟 otherwise I'd have ordered some. I'm aiming to be there for 10 tomorrow morning - I've taken the day off to catch up on some work and to finish a few brewing related bits and bobs.

Must admit that I didn't check whether they had stock. Was chatting with Alison and she was telling me about the orkney bere and others and I said I would try them at some point. Worth asking whilst you're there though.

Also Anna, a much belated thanks for the beers you gave me. I'd never tried a sour before but your raspberry sour was amazing and gave me the impetus to try a few more. Seriously considering brewing some now.

I may be interested to finding a way to save a few pounds in a group buy

I have family in Fife so may be worth a extra half hour to get to crafty malts (although very much unsure how to use them as I have only purchased pre prepared kits so far)

I may be interested to finding a way to save a few pounds in a group buy

I have family in Fife so may be worth a extra half hour to get to crafty malts (although very much unsure how to use them as I have only purchased pre prepared kits so far)
It's easy. Just buy on the website Crafty Maltsters and arrange a time for collection via email. They're really helpful.

Latest posts

Back