Screw-top bottle seals

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicyclerepairman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently acquired some screw-top bottles that need new seals. I am not sure what this type of bottle is called, and can't find much online. Could someone point me in the right direction? See pic below.

Thanks in advance!

20170817_174655[1].jpg

Blimey,think they are pretty ancient!!!!.Not seen those for donkeys years:grin:
Not so sure that you will be able to get those now!
I could be very wrong however

Blimey,think they are pretty ancient!!!!.Not seen those for donkeys years:grin:
Not so sure that you will be able to get those now!
I could be very wrong however

They are ancient, and what I used some 40 years ago. They were primarily for cider I believe. Anyway, that doesn't help you. It may be worth firing off a few emails to companies that sell HB equipment
https://www.home-brew-hopshop.co.uk...ew-stopper-new-style-spare-washers-p-263.html

silly price
Alternatively, cut up some silicone baking sheet...
I did contact a shop that did sell them a few years ago and they said that the best stuff to use is rubber gas piping, the sort camping/caravanning outlets sell and cut that up. In fact this seems the most practical solution. Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the help! Is there a reason these aren't used any more (apart from the lack of spares)? The person I got them from said he used them for sparkling wine, so I assumed they would be good for bottle-conditioned homebrew.

Thanks for all the help! Is there a reason these aren't used any more (apart from the lack of spares)? The person I got them from said he used them for sparkling wine, so I assumed they would be good for bottle-conditioned homebrew.
They are excellent for beer, except that one bottle is more than you can drink/pour so the 2nd pint will be cloudy from sediment, unless you have a jug or very large glass.

I've got a few of these somewhere that I inherited from my Dad. Don't currently use them and if I did I'd need to replace the seals. I read somewhere that some silicon hose (milk hose) of the correct diameter cut into Os will do the job.

Quality username by the way :D

I was explaining Bicycle Repair Man to my super hero obsessed 6 year old and showed him the sketch on YouTube (Monty Python for those not in the know). He spent a day or two running around pretending to be Bicycle Repair Man :lol:

Latest posts

Back