setting up corny keg.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I ordered and received a corny keg system just before xmas. Due to hectic times at festivities I haven't had time to use. I am a complete novice and am looking for advice.
I got
2 x corny kegs
2 x picnic taps with 3/16 line with 2 x ball lock connectors attached
1 x regulator
1 x splitter
2 x ball lock connectors for gas

i have tried contacting the seller but he will be unavailable till the 30th.

on my regulator I have a little white cable tie with a small white plastic washer attached..... any ideas?

also I presume rightly or wrongly?(please feel free to tell me) that the 0.355 x 0.250 ma grey gas tube will fit into the end of the splitter with the one connection?

does that mean then that the other 0.355 x 0.250 ma grey gas tube fits onto one of the ball lock connectors and then into the splitter side with the double connection?

I don't have another of these grey gas tubes so would I be correct in thinking I am one short? Or have I got this all wrong?

i dont have suitable spanners to unlock/lock the regulator to the co2 tank... can i ask if this is a regular size and if so what is it usually?
same thing what size are the nuts you have to loosen on the keg for the beer and gas?

How much hose did you receive?
Hose can be cut with a sharp knife (Not scissors)
The washer goes between regulator and CO2 cylinder.
Buy a couple of adjustable spanners, a 6" and an 8" should cover what you require.
Hose from regulator to splitter then two hoses from splitter to gas in connectors for Cornies.

the grey gas tube/hosing is prob about 7 feet in length.
do u therefore recommend I just cut halfway with a sharp blade (or what length would be better) and connect one end to the double end of the spiltter and the other ends to the gas ball lock connectors?

Ty I'll just go ahead and cut it at half way I think....
the 3/16 beer lines are all nicely wrapped up in coil with cable ties apart from end piece of a few feet. Is it recommended I just keep wrapped in coil for tidiness? will this be ok?
also I wont be able to get spanners tonight so wont be able to connect co2..
will it be ok to go ahead and rinse out cornies with warm water then sterilise them ( I usually use wilkos baby sterilising tablets to do this)
then add my IPA and my W/Wherry to the kegs?
will it be safe and secure for a while incase its a few days or so before i can connect it all up?
do u recommend i force carb?
ie if i gently rock and roll kegs for say 10 15 mins after i put beer in then leave them for whenever i hook up to co2?

I would wait until you have the CO2 to transfer to Cornies.
I usually force carb at about 30psi for a couple of days and then reduce pressure to about 5psi. To reduce the pressure, back off the regulator control and release the pressure by pulling on the relief valve ring on the Cornie.
I don't bother with rolling the Cornie's but some people do. You just have to play around to see what works best for you.
Also it's best not to leave the CO2 turned on all the time, there may be some leaks.
You'll soon learn what works and doesn't work and learn from your mistakes.
Good luck

Brian

my beers been in the fv since the 13th nov (Six half weeks) should this be a problem? In theory how long willit be ok there.My airlocks are filled with water so nothing can get in

Latest posts

Back