Shake the wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogwitch

Reaction score
I'm going to be racking a Beaverdale merlot tomorrow. Reading the instructions that came with the kit, it says to transfer to a clean DJ, add the stabaliser and to SHAKE the container for 3-4 minutes, at least three times a day for the next 3-4 days to remove the CO2.

Does this not introduce oxygen and spoil the taste of the wine?

alanywiseman said:
The released CO2 fills the small headspace so it's fine.

I think my bigger worry is that, after racking, the headspace will contain oxygen and if I shake it that point, the oxygen will get into the wine. Or should I interpret 'shake' as 'swirl'?

Give it a little swirl to release some CO2 into the headspace plus if you use campden tablets that will help prevent oxidation.

No it will be fine! The shaking to get rid of CO2 is to help the wine clear. Otherwise, as I found out the CO2 keeps the floaters in suspension after adding the finings! GRRRR!

alanywiseman said:
Give it a little swirl to release some CO2 into the headspace plus if you use campden tablets that will help prevent oxidation.

Swirling sounds a lot less aggressive. :thumb:

wezil said:
No it will be fine! The shaking to get rid of CO2 is to help the wine clear. Otherwise, as I found out the CO2 keeps the floaters in suspension after adding the finings! GRRRR!

Hmm... shaking, swirling, sounds like a vacuum pump would be the best answer... (looks on ebay) :eek:

alanywiseman said:
Do you plan on using campden tablets? They prevent oxidation so you really shouldn't need to worry :thumb:

I've got campden tablets but I'm pretty sure the last time I used them, they caused a chemically taste in my wine so I'm reluctant to use them again. It could have been the stabiliser, that stuff smells awful, almost as bad as yeast nutrient!
I'd rather not use any chemicals if I can avoid it but I don't know what the alternatives are and I'm sure they're not cheap.

Stop being a wimp. :grin: Give it a bl**dy good shake. The wine will be fine with no oxygen getting in. you need to get rid of most of the CO2 or the gas will hold the small particles in suspension preventing it clearing. But if you are worried about it, you could leave it under airlock for the next 6 months or so and the Co2 will disperse naturally just like they do on commercial wineries. But make sure you add the stabiliser packet (CT and Pot sorb) first.

bobsbeer said:
Stop being a wimp. :grin: Give it a bl**dy good shake. The wine will be fine with no oxygen getting in. you need to get rid of most of the CO2 or the gas will hold the small particles in suspension preventing it clearing. But if you are worried about it, you could leave it under airlock for the next 6 months or so and the Co2 will disperse naturally just like they do on commercial wineries. But make sure you add the stabiliser packet (CT and Pot sorb) first.

:D

OK, I've racked the merlot and a WOW, merlot came out at 994 and the WOW came out at 998 so I'm happy with both. Stabiliser has gone in and I've stood for 5 minutes, one in each hand, shaking them quite vigorously. I'll repeat morning, noon and night for the next few days, add the finings and see where I stand after that. The merlot came out very clear looking (but difficult to say for certain with a red), the WOW has a little way to go, but I'm optimistic.

DJs cleaned and being sterilised. I have another cabernet sauvignon wilco kit that came with an ebay bundle. I'm tempted to start it and something else, just not sure what the 'else' would be!

bobsbeer said:
No need to repeat. Just shake it well for a few minutes then bung in the finings.

OK, OK, OK, I've shaken again until no more CO2 seemed to come out and the first part of the finings have gone in mixed. another hour and the second part will go in then I'll empty the larder to make some room for the DJs. :thumb:

When a wine gets as low as 994 I'm not sure you really need to bother with stabilising - there's nowt left for the yeast to eat. I'd like to hear other opinions on this though. I've made quite a few that never got stabilised and were fine, but I do seem to be doing it more lately.

Well done. It should be clear in a few days ready for racking or bottling. No need to rush it though. I often leave mine a few weeks after clearing before I rack.

I would stabilise. .994 is not as low as it goes and without stabilising it can be hard to clear even with degasing. However if you are leaving it to bulk mature long term, then you don't need bother, but put an airlock on just in case.

oldbloke said:
When a wine gets as low as 994 I'm not sure you really need to bother with stabilising - there's nowt left for the yeast to eat. I'd like to hear other opinions on this though. I've made quite a few that never got stabilised and were fine, but I do seem to be doing it more lately.

I hear what you're saying but there was a very small amount of fermentation happening, about 1 bubble every two minutes so it was all but stopped. Good to hear I could go without the stabaliser in the future, the less chemicals the better as far as I'm concerned.

bobsbeer said:
Well done. It should be clear in a few days ready for racking or bottling. No need to rush it though. I often leave mine a few weeks after clearing before I rack.

I would stabilise. .994 is not as low as it goes and without stabilising it can be hard to clear even with degasing. However if you are leaving it to bulk mature long term, then you don't need bother, but put an airlock on just in case.

Ah well, stabilising has been done anyway. I would much prefer to leave it to bulk mature long term but I don't have enough space, DJs and, most importantly, patience for that. Once I've built up a stock, and I'm doing OK so far, I'll be able to take my time, relax a bit and do things 'properly'
Oh, and the house I'm renting is going to be either sold or knocked down in the not too distant future so I'll be on the lookout for something that has the potential for a brew room/shed or similar! I just hope I don't have to move to far inland to find it!

Bogwitch said:
I hear what you're saying but there was a very small amount of fermentation happening, about 1 bubble every two minutes so it was all but stopped. Good to hear I could go without the stabaliser in the future, the less chemicals the better as far as I'm concerned.

1 every 2 mins is quite fast compared to the state some of mine get into! The lemon wine I finally gave up on and bottled t'other day was doing about 1 every 2 DAYS...

Everything an atom (give or take an electron or two) or bigger is a chemical, you know. pot sorbate and sod metabisulphite are as safe as, say, salt'n'vinegar.

A cheap source of DJ's are 5lt water containers, commonly called PET's. Usually around a quid and you get free water to use in your brew. You do need to put a grommet in the lid to seal the airlock though.

oldbloke said:
Bogwitch said:

1 every 2 mins is quite fast compared to the state some of mine get into! The lemon wine I finally gave up on and bottled t'other day was doing about 1 every 2 DAYS...

Everything an atom (give or take an electron or two) or bigger is a chemical, you know. pot sorbate and sod metabisulphite are as safe as, say, salt'n'vinegar.

I guess it's not the chemicals so much as the chemically taste that can be left behind.

One every two days?? How do you even measure that! :lol:

bobsbeer said:
A cheap source of DJ's are 5lt water containers, commonly called PET's. Usually around a quid and you get free water to use in your brew. You do need to put a grommet in the lid to seal the airlock though.

OK, it's not so much a shortage of DJs, I've been picking them up for £2 recently and I prefer the glass to plastic. It's more about the shortage of space. I'm tripping over FVs in the kitchen and I've got 6 DJs on top of the freezer that's in my airing cupboard, no real space anywhere else but at least the temperatures are a steady 20 in there, I just hope it doesn't get too hot in the summer.

Bogwitch said:
I guess it's not the chemicals so much as the chemically taste that can be left behind.

One every two days?? How do you even measure that! :lol:

I honestly can't taste Campden, or pot sorbate+Campden. And nobody's ever mentioned anything when tasting my stuff.

I don't measure it, I have it in the dining room and look at it every hour or so!

Assuming you have a good seal you can see straight away if it's still fermenting. There will be positive pressure in the air lock. But looking at the surface of the wine does it for me. As not all FV's have a good seal. But I generally don't worry about it and leave it for 3 or 4 weeks. I know it will be done by then.

Latest posts

Back