Since starting homebrew...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gethin79

Reaction score
Well. I've got to say. So far this has been the most absorbing hobby I have tried to date (and I've tried a few!!)

Before starting, I must admit I'd tried little more than just lager, and the usual spirits. Every time I tried an ale I was just comparing it to lager...and thinking to myself "well this doesn't taste right". My first brew, predictably, was a lager, the Coopers European. This is conditioning now. I'm trying one bottle a week, and its getting better each time.

After starting on this forum I began to realise the huge area of beer that I have been missing...despite my Dad always shaking his head when I only wanted a lager in the pub!! So I started to try ales. And now I don't drink lager as first choice anymore. I realised that I had closed my mind off to ales etc, but when I started drinking them with an open mind I began to taste, and appreciate, the different flavours. Now that I am into brewing, I want to try everything, but my experience of different beers and my palate have some serious catching up to do! For example, to know what ingredients to use in a certain type of brew, you need to know what it should look like and what it should taste like. This is why, despite me wanting to get into AG, at the moment I feel my prior experience is just too limited.

I tried a Hoegarden Grand Cru in the pub last week. Before I would never have enjoyed it, but it was lovely. This spurs me on to keep learning and trying new things, and I think this is the beauty of this hobby. The possibilities are endless!

I've also noticed that people steal FV bucket lids from Wilkinsons after my attempts to get one today...but that's another story!!! :lol:

Anyway, probably a boring post for most, but just felt a need to share the experience!!

:cheers:

I had pretty much 0 experience when I moved to AG Gethin. I did a couple of turbo ciders and 1 or 2 beer kits.

Make the jump. It's a lot of fun and after you've done a couple you tend to go on autopilot :thumb:

NickW said:
I had pretty much 0 experience when I moved to AG Gethin. I did a couple of turbo ciders and 1 or 2 beer kits.

Make the jump. It's a lot of fun and after you've done a couple you tend to go on autopilot :thumb:
I must admit...I do like shiny things!! :D Hmmm....

Gethin79 said:
I've also noticed that people steal FV bucket lids from Wilkinsons after my attempts to get one today...but that's another story!!! :lol:

I nearly inadvertently stole one last week. It was only on the way to the till that I realised there was two stuck on top of the FV I was buying. With the Wilkos's staff tendency to stack them like that I wonder how many people get home before they realise.

Strongarm said:
Gethin79 said:

I nearly inadvertently stole one last week. It was only on the way to the till that I realised there was two stuck on top of the FV I was buying. With the Wilkos's staff tendency to stack them like that I wonder how many people get home before they realise.
Perhaps I was being a little hasty in my accusations!! :oops:

As you age, and done more than enough of that, your taste does change. I eat and drink things now that would have seemed really unpleasant to me 20 years ago.
Though it is possible the bitter I first tried 20 years ago was not that good a pint :? The good thing with this hobby is that you can make the drink you like :) ........... or try to anyway :hmm:

Pjam said:
As you age, and done more than enough of that, your taste does change. I eat and drink things now that would have seemed really unpleasant to me 20 years ago.
Though it is possible the bitter I first tried 20 years ago was not that good a pint :? The good thing with this hobby is that you can make the drink you like :) ........... or try to anyway :hmm:
Completely agree :thumb:

I was the same as you i drank nothing but lager!
Since taking up this hobby a year ago my palate has totally changed. For example i went to the shops today for some beers to watch the football and came home with a hopping Hare, old empire ipa, Belhaven twisted thistle, Samuel Adams, pilsner urquell, harviestoun schiehallion craft lager and a bottle of erdinger kristal.

Cheers
B

Hello, I'm Mogger and I too used to drink lager. :shock:
A couple of years back I started getting different ales from Tescos (4 for £6/ 3 for £5 or whatever it is) and never looked back. I used to drink the odd bitter from the boozer and got into Guinness for a while and then........... oh, who am I kidding, I'll drink anything me. :drink:
It's just I really appreciate the taste of some of these beers so much more than the **** I used to throw down me neck.

Cheers people.

Latest posts

Back