Single infusion vs Step Mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perrin_Abara

Reaction score
If I only had the ability for single infusion mash. Would this suffice regardless of what the recipe method I was following called for?

Single Infusion mash is a compromise. However with modern malts it's not always a big deal as they're modified to cut out things like protein rests that used to be required many moons ago.

If you know what you're doing with multiple rests you will probably have a higher chance of producing better beer. Single Infusion mash is simple, accessible, and what most of us homebrewers do every brewday.

You can make some multiple rest recipes work with a single rest, but not all. It depends on the style.

I read up on wheat beers recently and to make a really simple wheat bear with banana esters you can get away by underpitch if WY3038, but if you wish to make a really good wheat beer that brings out the best of the clove and banana flavours, several rests and decoctions will give best results.

Start simple, then build up from there.

Single Infusion mash is a compromise. However with modern malts it's not always a big deal as they're modified to cut out things like protein rests that used to be required many moons ago.

If you know what you're doing with multiple rests you will probably have a higher chance of producing better beer. Single Infusion mash is simple, accessible, and what most of us homebrewers do every brewday.

You can make some multiple rest recipes work with a single rest, but not all. It depends on the style.

I read up on wheat beers recently and to make a really simple wheat bear with banana esters you can get away by underpitch if WY3038, but if you wish to make a really good wheat beer that brings out the best of the clove and banana flavours, several rests and decoctions will give best results.

Start simple, then build up from there.

Thanks for the reply. I thought that may be the case but my other half bought me book of clone recipes, many of which require multiple rests. I guess I'll just try them anyway because I probably won't be able to tell any different.

Back