Single step yeast starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrenSL

Reaction score
Hi. Is there any advantage in stepping yeast starters up slowly rather than in one step so long as the cell count is the same?

I collected some (WLP830 Hefe iv) yeast slurry into sterile 10ml vials 2 weeks ago. I don't really have time to do a 2 step so was hoping to make a single 1.7L starter. Should give me c.250b cells which should be enough.

Thanks.

I haven't got my book on me but I think you get a diminishing return after some point in the cell count growth

10ml isn't a lot because not all of it will be live yeast, you may stress the yeast a bit??

It's to do with inoculation rate rather than cell count. According to Chris White yeast has a maximum growth factor of 6 which is at an inoculation rate of about 5 billion cells per litre. A lower rate will not produce more yeast cells and so is pointless.
In other words if you put 5b yeast cells in a 2 litre starter you wouldn't get any more growth than if you'd put them in a 1 litre starter.

Latest posts

Back